The following options provide employees with personal time away from work:
- Bereavement Leave - Funeral leave is available in the event of the death of certain family members without using hours from your PTO bank.
- Educational Activities Leave - You may have direct access to up to 8 hours each fiscal year to attend school-sponsored activities for your children using your EIB.
- Foster Parent Leave - You may attend certain foster parent meetings without using hours from your PTO bank.
- Institutional Holidays - Institutional holidays are provided annually for all employees. If an employee is required to work on the holiday, it may be banked for up to 12 months.
- Leave Without Pay - LWOP may be available if you need time away from work and are ineligible for, or have exhausted, your paid time off options.
- Paid Time Off - You accrue hours monthly in a Paid Time Off (PTO) bank that provides discretionary leave to be used for any purpose, such as vacation, personal time and short-term employee or immediate family member illnesses/injuries.
All personal time away must be approved by your manager according to the Attendance Policy (UTMDACC Institutional Policy # ADM2089) and Departmental Time Off Procedures. Obtaining leave with pay under false pretenses, or other abuses of any paid leave privilege, may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Fill out the Request for Time Off Form for requests for personal time away.
Scheduled Hours, Leave and Workweek Classification
Department leadership has the authority to adjust an employee’s work schedule as long as the standard hours of the employee are met.1 Read more about examples and tips for coding time.
Four Hour Rule
Time off during the workday of less than 4 hours for exempt employees isn't deducted from accrual banks if you are employed full-time and the absence isn't related to a pending or approved intermittent FMLA case. Divisions/departments may not use accrued time for absences less than 4 hours. Divisions/departments have the authority to determine if accruals must be used for partial day absences greater than 4 hours.
The Four Hour Rule is for occasional use and doesn't apply to non-exempt employees. Managers can ask why the time off is needed and can deny the request based on business needs. Follow your department's normal time off procedure when requesting time off using the Four Hour Rule.
- The Four Hour Rule doesn't apply to telecommuters.
- When using this time off, exempt employees, including those who are overtime eligible, do not make up time or have time entered to bring them to their standard hours.
- Divisions/departments have the authority to establish and revise standards of practice for their departments related to this time off. Divisions/departments must be consistent in the application of this rule.
- Exempt employees classified as FLSA status 'S' or 'T' must physically work greater than 40 or 80 hours (depending on their job title) to be eligible for overtime.
1MD Anderson Legal Services Legal Opinion
Due to our response to COVID-19, all blood donations at MD Anderson
Blood Donor Center locations are being held by appointment only.