The following options provide employees with personal time away from work:
- Bereavement Leave - Funeral leave is available in the event of the death of certain family members without using hours from your PTO bank.
- Educational Activities Leave - You may have direct access to up to 8 hours each fiscal year to attend school-sponsored activities for your children using your EIB.
- Foster Parent Leave - You may attend certain foster parent meetings without using hours from your PTO bank.
- Institutional Holidays - Institutional holidays are provided annually for all employees. If an employee is required to work on the holiday, it may be banked for up to 12 months.
- Leave Without Pay - LWOP may be available if you need time away from work and are ineligible for, or have exhausted, your paid time off options.
- Paid Time Off - You accrue hours monthly in a Paid Time Off (PTO) bank that provides discretionary leave to be used for any purpose, such as vacation, personal time and short-term employee or immediate family member illnesses/injuries.
- Donor Appreciation Leave - Up to 8 hours of Donor Appreciation Leave (DAL) may be used for personal leave in appreciation for an eligible employee’s consistent donation over a calendar year.
- Using Leave Accruals Before Retiring or Leaving the Institution - With their manager's approval, employees may use eligible accruals through the date they separate without returning to work. Read more about the specific steps needed for compliance with state code.
The employee requests time off through the timekeeping system with as much advance notice as is possible and follows their Departmental Time Off Procedures. All personal time away must be approved by your manager according to the Attendance Policy (MD Anderson Institutional Policy #ADM2089) and Departmental Time Off Procedures. Obtaining leave with pay under false pretenses, or other abuses of any paid leave privilege, may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.