The following options provide employees with personal time away from work:
- Bereavement Leave - Funeral leave is available in the event of the death of certain family members without using hours from your PTO bank.
- Educational Activities Leave - You may have direct access to up to 8 hours each fiscal year to attend school-sponsored activities for your children using your EIB.
- Foster Parent Leave - You may attend certain foster parent meetings without using hours from your PTO bank.
- Institutional Holidays - Institutional holidays are provided annually for all employees. If an employee is required to work on the holiday, it may be banked for up to 12 months.
- Leave Without Pay - LWOP may be available if you need time away from work and are ineligible for, or have exhausted, your paid time off options.
- Paid Time Off - You accrue hours monthly in a Paid Time Off (PTO) bank that provides discretionary leave to be used for any purpose, such as vacation, personal time and short-term employee or immediate family member illnesses/injuries.
All personal time away must be approved by your manager according to the Attendance Policy (UTMDACC Institutional Policy # ADM2089) and Departmental Time Off Procedures. Obtaining leave with pay under false pretenses, or other abuses of any paid leave privilege, may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Fill out the Request for Time Off Form for your personal time away requests.
Four Hour Rule
Time off during the workday of less than 4 hours for exempt employees is not recorded as leave if you are employed full-time and the absence is not related to an approved intermittent FMLA case. This leave is for occasional use and does not apply to non-exempt employees.
Scheduled Hours, Leave and Workweek Classification
Department Leadership has the authority to adjust an employee’s work schedule as long as the standard hours of the employee are met.1 Read more about examples and tips for coding time.
1MD Anderson Legal Services Legal Opinion