Box.com (Box) is the cloud-based content management and collaboration solution provided by MD Anderson to its faculty, staff, students, trainees and contractors.
- Box replaces other cloud storage solutions including Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive.
- Box facilitates file sharing and collaboration in a secure online environment that complies with institutional security policies.
- Documents from commonly used applications like Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel may be created, managed, edited and shared in Box.
- MD Anderson users may give non-MD Anderson users access to Box content as determined by their permission levels.
- Users can access their Box accounts through a web browser from any desktop, laptop, iPad or iPhone connected to the internet.
*Box will no longer support IE9 and IE10 web browsers beginning in September 2016. Please upgrade your browser to IE11, or use Chrome or Firefox to ensure full Box functionality continues.
Using Box on your laptop and desktop
Connect to Box.com (full functionality)
- Use connects through a web interface
- Recommended for collaboration (both internally and externally)
- Best practice: only grant users the minimum access level needed for the business requirement. External collaborators should not be granted higher than Viewer Uploader access.
- Files and folders may be accessed, edited, shared and managed
- Additional features such as email uploads, notifications, automations and watermarking are available
- Choose which documents sync to your desktop with Box Sync (Editor level and above)
- Reference the MD Anderson Web User Guide
Connect with Box Sync
- Users may install Box sync on three MD Anderson owned computers (no personal computers)
- Install from the MD Anderson software center or
- From your Box account, click the arrow next to your name in the top right and scroll down to apps
- It is strongly recommended not to use Box Sync for collaborative efforts, as offline changes may be overridden if two users change a document and connect back to the internet at a later time.
- Only sync important documents that you access frequently. Sync is only rated for up to 100,000 files, and reaching this limit may cause sync performance issues.
- All files that are synced will take up space on your computer’s hard drive
Box for Office (Windows Only)
- Download Box for Office integration instructions
- Allows user to create new Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents and save directly to Box, just like a local drive
- User can open and edit documents through the native application without using the web interface or Box Sync
- Automatically locks documents being edited
Using Box on your mobile device
Box Mobile App (iOS Only)
- MD Anderson employees may download and install Box for EMM (Airwatch version) on two iPhones and one iPad from the MD Anderson App Store
- Public versions of the Box mobile app through the Apple Store are not allowed for use with MD Anderson accounts
- The mobile app is view only access to your documents stored on Box
- To edit documents stored in Box from your mobile device, you may use an Office 365 account, however, you MUST save MD Anderson contents back to Box, not OneDrive
- Users can upload new documents, invite collaborators, and favorite from the app
Box for Android
- To access Box from your Android device, you may connect to Box Repository in the content locker and connect to Box like a drive
- The Box for EMM app is not available for Android here at MD Anderson
Box Capture (iOS Only)
- Download Box Capture from the MD Anderson App Catalog for a secure, HIPAA-compliant way to take photos and store them directly to your Box.com account. When you use this app, you can set the settings so that it doesn’t save a copy of the photo on your device. It will automatically send it to Box and not leave residual copies on your device.
Using Box with Third-Party Apps
To safeguard our patients’ privacy, other mobile app integrations with Box.com must be reviewed and approved by MD Anderson’s Information Security team. To submit a request, please contact 4INFO. Note: the review process can be extensive and may take several months; and there is no guarantee the request will be approved.
- May be accessed via the internet through the web interface without the need for VPN
- MD Anderson employees sign on using their myID credentials
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface on the web
- Ability to set access permission at the folder and subfolder levels
- Version control at the document level
- Delete recovery in trash (up to 30 days)
- Share and collaborate with other Box useres, both within and beyond MD Anderson
- Unlimited storage with the ability to upload files up to 15GB in size
Check it out
You can do MD Anderson check requests using documentation stored in Box. For more information, contact MD Anderson's Box Administrator.