Patients, peers laud award winner
Her colleagues describe her as a “rising star,” a “natural leader,” a “fearless” advocate for patients. What patients value most is simply her warmth and compassion.
Nancy Tomczak, a clinical nurse in the inpatient stem cell transplant unit at MD Anderson, is the recipient of the 2011 Ethel Fleming Arceneaux Outstanding Nurse-Oncologist Award. Tomczak accepted her award at an MD Anderson ceremony June 22. The award, the institution’s highest nursing honor, is funded and presented annually by The Brown Foundation, Inc.
Straight out of nursing school at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Tomczak landed a job at MD Anderson, where she’s spent her entire 10-year career. She’s proved herself not only as a nurse, but also as a leader. Her dedication and drive for helping others develop their nursing skills led to her nomination as a candidate for MD Anderson’s 2008 Excellence in Nursing Leadership Award. She is a member of the Oncology Nursing Society and serves as chair of the Nursing Practice Congress.
“When deciding where to start my career, there was no question — only the best,” Tomczak says. “Little did I know that nursing at MD Anderson would be such a rewarding, well-rounded profession.”
Watch the video Award Winning Care: Nurse-Oncologist Nancy Tomczak shines
Promise - Summer 2011
- Capitalizing on our differences
- A message from John Mendelsohn, M.D.
- Dean makes president’s list
- DePinho named fourth president in history of MD Anderson
- Mulvas give $5 million to melanoma research
- Patients, peers laud award winner
- Benchmark event
- BOV member repays debt of gratitude to MD Anderson
- A promise fulfilled: Foundation honors Farrah Fawcett’s memory
- Faith is at foundation’s core
- Planned gift provides hope for others
- Survivors Say: Susan Nutt
- Research Highlights
- Among Friends: Marvin Kimmel
- iPromise: Anne Mendelsohn
- TeamConnor plays to win against childhood cancer
- Taking a bite out of cancer: Crave Cupcakes Partners with Arts in Medicine
- Polo on the Prairie marks 25 years
- Introducing: Polo Under the Palms
- Team effort makes major advances
- Upcoming Events