Introducing: Polo Under the Palms
By Sarah Watson
As a co-chair of the inaugural Polo Under the Palms March 12 at the Sarasota Polo Club in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., Jamie Uihlein followed through on a commitment he made years ago to support the institution’s world-class research and patient care initiatives. In the process, he inspired 300 fellow Floridians to do the same, raising more than $150,000.
The day’s events included an action-packed polo match followed by a dinner of Old Florida cuisine and dancing to the Robert Williamson Band under a white tent decorated with, appropriately, dozens of palm trees. Joining Uihlein as co-chairs were his wife, Mary, and son and daughter-in-law James and Christie Uihlein.
That morning, MD Anderson held a free seminar, featuring John Mendelsohn, M.D., president of MD Anderson, and Randal Weber, M.D., chair of the Department of Head and Neck Surgery.
In 2004, Uihlein was diagnosed with stage 2 tongue cancer. Today he’s cancer-free. He credits his positive outcome to the specialized care he received from Weber and team.
A portion of Polo Under the Palms proceeds is directed to the Uihlein Research Fund at MD Anderson.
Promise - Summer 2011
- Capitalizing on our differences
- A message from John Mendelsohn, M.D.
- Dean makes president’s list
- DePinho named fourth president in history of MD Anderson
- Mulvas give $5 million to melanoma research
- Patients, peers laud award winner
- Benchmark event
- BOV member repays debt of gratitude to MD Anderson
- A promise fulfilled: Foundation honors Farrah Fawcett’s memory
- Faith is at foundation’s core
- Planned gift provides hope for others
- Survivors Say: Susan Nutt
- Research Highlights
- Among Friends: Marvin Kimmel
- iPromise: Anne Mendelsohn
- TeamConnor plays to win against childhood cancer
- Taking a bite out of cancer: Crave Cupcakes Partners with Arts in Medicine
- Polo on the Prairie marks 25 years
- Introducing: Polo Under the Palms
- Team effort makes major advances
- Upcoming Events