Polo on the Prairie Brings World-Class Polo to West Texas
Promise - Summer 2009
Thunderstorms rolled across the West Texas prairie for two days, but the rain didn’t dampen the spirits of polo enthusiasts and M. D. Anderson supporters on May 2 as Polo on the Prairie celebrated a record year.
Event chairs Melinda and Henry Musselman welcomed more than 1,050 guests, who raised an impressive $270,425 for M. D. Anderson’s patient care and research programs. This year’s event topped last year’s record of $252,948.
By midafternoon, long lines of vehicles stretched along the winding dirt road leading to the Musselman Brothers’ Lazy 3 Ranch near Breckenridge, making their way to the field. As if on cue, the sun appeared just an hour before the championship match.
For the first time in the event’s 23-year history, the championship match was tied at the end of the fourth chukker. A sudden-death tiebreaker resulted in victory for the team No Trees. One of the team’s star players, K.C. Beal, was born the year of the first Polo on the Prairie, and she has attended the event each year. Her father, Kelly Beal, has played in numerous Polo on the Prairie events, for the past four years playing with his daughter.
After the match and a barbecue feast, guests danced to the rhythm of rising country star Jack Ingram. Fireworks lit the sky to end the evening.
Since 1987, Polo on the Prairie has raised more than $3.9 million for programs at M. D. Anderson. The event combines professional and amateur polo, and players travel nationwide to participate, bringing several horses each at their own expense.
Henry Musselman serves on the institution’s Board of Visitors, along with his mother-in-law, Mary Anne McCloud, who is Polo on the Prairie’s chair emeritus.
Promise - Summer 2009
- Milestones And A Mission: Bush Endowment Supports 10 years of Scientific Discovery
- A Message From Dr. Mendelsohn
- Cyrus Scholar Award Presents a Golden Opportunity
- Jefferies Randall & Dewey Commits to Match CPRIT Grants
- Sprint for Life: Off and Running in Support of Ovarian Cancer Research
- Polo on the Prairie Brings World-Class to West Texas
- Among Friends: Jeff Wigbels
- Research Highlights
- Stand Up To Cancer Empowers 'Dream Teams'
- Study Reports Major Advance in Lung Cancer Treatment
- Vaccine Helps Body Fight Advanced Melanoma
- Mestastatic Colorectal Cancer Survival Improves
- Donors Make a Difference
- 'Forever Irene' Symbolizes Survivor's Resilience
- Planned Gift Demonstrates Nurse's Will to Do the Right Thing
- Golfers Get in the Swing for S.C.O.P.E
- Pet Burro Goes to the Top of the Class in South Carolina
- Halliburton Helping Fight Cancer
- News Makers
- A Banner Year as MD Anderson Extends Services to Arizona
- AACR Exec Receives First Margaret Kripke Legend Award
- Arceneaux Award Honors Dynamic Nurse in Neurosurgery
- Business and Professional Women's Club Lands Pathology Chair
- Pivotal T cell Research Lands AAI Award
- Survivors Say