Andrew McCullough Jr. of Houston is chair-elect of the Advance Team, an advisory board dedicated to raising awareness of the Children’s Cancer Hospital at MD Anderson.My mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 1995 and died in 1997. While she was at MD Anderson, I felt a strong connection to the institution. My family and I got to know the staff and the volunteers on a first-name basis. They were always there to make us feel comfortable, answer our questions or offer a smile. I’ve come to realize, after talking to other families who’ve been to MD Anderson, that there’s this incredible bond with the people there, whatever the outcome. I cherish this institution, where the whole idea is hope.
My mother’s doctor found her cancer by chance, and it was already Stage IV when she was diagnosed. Prior to her passing, we created a fund in her name, the Bettyann Asche Murray Distinguished Professorship in Ovarian Cancer Research at MD Anderson. I wanted to raise money for ovarian cancer research to help improve detection methods and survival rates, which at the time were not very good and have gotten only slightly better. It’s a steep, uphill battle. We’ll get there, though slowly.
Do you promise? Tell us why you’re committed to Making Cancer History®.
Promise - Summer 2009
- Milestones And A Mission: Bush Endowment Supports 10 years of Scientific Discovery
- A Message From Dr. Mendelsohn
- Cyrus Scholar Award Presents a Golden Opportunity
- Jefferies Randall & Dewey Commits to Match CPRIT Grants
- Sprint for Life: Off and Running in Support of Ovarian Cancer Research
- Polo on the Prairie Brings World-Class to West Texas
- Among Friends: Jeff Wigbels
- Research Highlights
- Stand Up To Cancer Empowers 'Dream Teams'
- Study Reports Major Advance in Lung Cancer Treatment
- Vaccine Helps Body Fight Advanced Melanoma
- Mestastatic Colorectal Cancer Survival Improves
- Donors Make a Difference
- 'Forever Irene' Symbolizes Survivor's Resilience
- Planned Gift Demonstrates Nurse's Will to Do the Right Thing
- Golfers Get in the Swing for S.C.O.P.E
- Pet Burro Goes to the Top of the Class in South Carolina
- Halliburton Helping Fight Cancer
- News Makers
- A Banner Year as MD Anderson Extends Services to Arizona
- AACR Exec Receives First Margaret Kripke Legend Award
- Arceneaux Award Honors Dynamic Nurse in Neurosurgery
- Business and Professional Women's Club Lands Pathology Chair
- Pivotal T cell Research Lands AAI Award
- Survivors Say