Your First Appointment
Now that you've chosen MD Anderson for world-class cancer treatment, a Patient Access Specialist will schedule your first appointment after reviewing your medical information and verifying insurance coverage. After your appointment has been confirmed, you should begin making your travel plans and gathering the information you'll need for your first appointment.
Plan Your Travel
MD Anderson has negotiated discounts with airlines, hotels and ground transportation agencies for patients and their caregivers. Additionally, we have a full-service travel agency on site that has access to these discounts to service patient travel needs.
- Patient Travel Services
- Lodging: Find a hotel, apartment, RV park or other places to stay.
- Jesse Jones Rotary House International: a full-service hotel across the street from the MD Anderson campus.
Prepare For Your Visit
Get ready for your visit to MD Anderson. We recommend dressing in comfortable clothes and footwear. Bring a sweater, since it can be chilly in the clinics. Houston is hot and humid in the summer, with average temperatures of 90 degrees. Winters can be either mild or chilly, with average temperatures of 50 degrees.
- New patient checklist: Use this general list, or visit your Care Center for a specific checklist.
- Advance directives: Living will, medical power of attorney, out-of-hospital do not resuscitate order.
- Patient Rights & Responsibilities I Español (pdf)
- Learn about our services & amenities
- Visitation policy
- Child Care
Navigating the MD Anderson Campus
MD Anderson may be large, but it has everything you need to feel at home. Your Patient Access Specialist can provide directions to your first appointment, or find them here. MD Anderson and the entire Texas Medical Center are smoke-free.