A Comprehensive Review in Clinical Cytogenetics
Date: April 18– April 19, 2013
Location: To be determined
This two-day program is designed for individuals eligible to sit for the Cytogenetics Exam, CG(ASCP), given by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP). Note: Page will open in a new browser window.
The course covers topics specified in the current ASCP BOC content outline. During the program you will attend approximately 16 hours of lectures, and receive an extensive study guide that includes:
- An outline of each subject area
- Practice problems
- Other material that promotes effective and efficient study
This review course will provide you three mock exams similar to the ASCP BOC certification exam. This will help you identify, in sufficient time before the actual exam, any problems that require extra study. You will also be given access to our on-line review for one year.
Upon completion of this program, you will be able to:
- Identify the key areas to study in order to prepare for a national certification exam
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot frequently encountered problems in both prenatal and cancer cytogenetic laboratories
- Organize your study time in an effective and efficient manner
- Increase your fund of knowledge through analysis of current procedures to arrive at accurate conclusions and appropriate courses of action
The University of Texas MD Anderson School of Health Professions is approved by the ASCLS P.A.C.E. Program as a provider of continuing education programs in the clinical laboratory sciences. Note: Page will open in a new browser window.
The entire clinical cytogenetics review course (including workshops) is worth 25 contact hours. The level of instruction is intermediate.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Optional FISH Workshop
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Evening Session (Optional Karyotype Workshop)
5:30 p.m. Dinner
6:00 p.m. Chromosome Identification/ISCN
6:30 p.m. Band Level Determination
8:00 p.m. Evaluation and Adjourn
Thursday, April 18, 2013
7:00 a.m. - Registration and Continental Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - Course Introduction
8:15 a.m. - Specimen Handling, Preparation and Processing
9:15 a.m. - Culturing Techniques
10:30 a.m. - Break
10:45 a.m. - Harvesting Techniques
12:00 p.m. - Lunch: Test-Taking Strategies
1:00 p.m. - Chromosome Banding Techniques & Fluorescent In Situ Hybridization
3:00 p.m. - Break
3:15 p.m. - Use and Maintenance of Microscopes, Photographic Equipment and Computers for Image Analysis
5:00 p.m. - Adjourn
Friday, April 19, 2013
7:30 a.m. - Continental Breakfast
8:00 a.m. - Chromosome Analysis Part I
9:15 a.m. - Chromosome Analysis Part II
10:30 a.m. - Break
10:45 a.m. - Chromosome Analysis Part III
12:00 p.m. - Lunch / Optional Laboratory Tour
1:00 p.m. - Chromosome Analysis Part IV
2:30 p.m. - Break
2:45 p.m. - Laboratory Practice Part I
3:45 p.m. - Laboratory Practice Part II
5:00 p.m. - Adjourn
Highly qualified and experienced in the field of clinical cytogenetics, our faculty members include:
- Elizabeth Allen, B.S., CLSp (CG)
- Su Yang, B.S., CLSp (CG)
- Lawrence Frimpong, B.S., CLSp (CG)
- Atousa Malecki, Ph.D.ABMG
- Jun Gu, M.S., CLSp (CG)
- Vicki Hopwood, M.S., CLSp (CG), CLDir (NCA)
- Peter Hu, Ph D. , MT (ASCP), CLSp (CG)
- Jan Smith, Ph.D., ABMG
- Terry van Fleet, M.S., CLSp (CG)
- Ming Zhao, M.D., M. S., CLSp (CG)
To preregister for A Comprehensive Review in Clinical Cytogenetics:
- Download, print and complete the registration form(pdf)
- EITHER Mail the form with your payment to:
Cytogenetic Technology Program – Unit 2
School of Health Sciences
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030-4009
- OR Fax the form to Vicki L. Hopwood at (713) 745-3337
- Registrations must be postmarked or faxed by April 11, 2012
- Registrations postmarked or faxed after this date will be assessed a $25 late fee.
Registration fees are listed on the registration form (pdf). The 2-Day Course fee includes course tuition, all materials, and meals as indicated in the course schedule. Payment for registration can be made by check, credit card (VISA or MasterCard), or purchase order. This review course is not sanctioned, endorsed, and/or sponsored by the National Certification Agency.
Your registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received by April 15, 2013. After that date, no refunds will be granted. However, registrations may be transferred to a colleague or applied towards the on-line course enrollment.
Contact the Program in Cytogenetic Technology office at (713) 563-3225 or 1-800-551-9503.
A Houston Hotel Guide can be found at: http://www.visithoustontexas.com/visitors/accommodations/
You must identify yourself as a visitor of U.T. MD Anderson to get the best rates. Also be sure to ask if they have free shuttle service to our campus. Parking is $12 a day in the medical center.