About Science Park
Science Park, as a separate campus of MD Anderson, has its own dedicated research support facilitates to enhance research. Located on 717 acres in the idyllic Buesher State Park in Smithville, Texas, Science Park is only 40 minutes for Austin and 2 hours from Houston. In addition to the facility cores on campus, investigators also have access to more than 35 facility cores at the main MD Anderson campus and to the Protein & Metabolite Analysis at UT Austin.
On campus resources include:
- Bioinformatics provides custom programming for data handling and analysis, typically in the area of gene expression, and we also host open source data storage and analysis solutions.
- Biostatistics support is available to aid investigators in study design, data collection and data analysis.
- Cell and Tissue Analysis provides multiparameter flow cytometry analysis and cell sorting, as well as confocal microscopy services. Genetic Services provides investigators with cost-effective, customized genome scans using polymorphic genetic markers, to support speed congenic development, background strain characterization, genetic quality control, and genetic linkage analysis for mice and rats.
- Histology and Tissue Processing provides routine histology processing, specialized histochemical and immunohistochemical staining techniques, consultations in histological techniques, necropsies and histopathological interpretation for investigators.
- Molecular Biology provides researchers access to sophisticated and state-of-the-art molecular techniques, including DNA sequencing, genotyping, gene expression analysis, 2D protein analysis, and preparation of purified proteins for identification by mass spectrometry
- Mutant Mouse Pathology Services provides investigators with cost-effective anatomical pathology assistance, including gross necropsy and histopathology performed by experienced veterinary pathologists. Consultation on animal models selection and validation is also provided.
- The Research Animal Support Facility is one of about 700 worldwide that is accredited by AAALAC International (Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International). The Research Animal Support Facility provides animal husbandry services, veterinary care and consultation, surgical and technical support, and numerous genetic and diagnostic services
- Research Graphics assists researchers in producing professional quality graphs, illustrations, data images, and figures for journal and grant submissions. Additionally, design and printing of sheet posters or board-mounted posters are available for conferences and meetings.
- Tech Services provides Science Park faculty and staff with desktop computer support. Additionally, they facilitate videoconferences for meetings and seminars.
- Transgenic Services provides investigators with a cost-effective means of developing genetically engineered animal models.
- Next generation sequencing with the installation of a dedicated Illumina HiSeq 1000 and associated support will be available in early 2012.