Finding a Mentor in Cancer Prevention
The Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences (DCPPS) is comprised of five (5) departments: Behavioral Science, Clinical Cancer Prevention, Epidemiology, Health Disparities Research and Health Services Research. The Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) is housed within the Office of the Vice President of Cancer Prevention of DCPPS.
Applicants must comply with the following mentor requirements and are encouraged to utilize one of the search methods below.
Mentor Selection Requirements
Predoctoral and Postdoctoral fellowship applicants:
- A minimum of two mentors with complementary expertise in different disciplines.
- More than two mentors are allowed.
- At least one mentor must have a faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor level or higher within DCPPS.
- Other qualified mentors can have appointments in the other MD Anderson departments (e.g. Hematology, Pathology, Immunology, etc.) or in institutions elsewhere (e.g. Baylor, Rice University, etc.)
- The applicant's research project must be related to cancer prevention.
- Note: The Janice Davis Gordon Memorial Fellowship in Colorectal Cancer Prevention Research is awarded to a cancer prevention research fellow specializing in prevention of colorectal cancer. The applicant's research project must be related to colorectal cancer prevention.
Spring and Summer Program fellowship applicants:
- One primary mentor is required.
- The mentor must have a faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor level or higher within DCPPS.
- The mentor and applicant's research project must be related to cancer prevention.
- A second mentor is optional and may have a faculty appointment outside of DCPPS (e.g. Hematology, Pathology, Immunology, etc.)
How to Search for a Mentor
CPRTP applicants may search for mentors using either of the two search methods below.
Search Method 1
IMPORTANT NOTE: Since many of the department pages or faculty profiles below will not include a contact number or e-mail address of an individual faculty, please select Contact Information from the left menu of the faculty's department page, and dial the number provided to reach a department representative. Feel free to ask the representative for the faculty's e-mail address and direct phone number.
- Department of Behavioral Science
- Department of Clinical Cancer Prevention
- Department of Epidemiology
- Department of Health Disparities Research
- Department of Health Services Research
Search Method 2
For more information about what's expected of CPRTP mentors and guidelines for letters of support, visit the CPRTP Mentoring Page!