Short Term Research Experiences
Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, November 30, 2015 through 11:59pm CST Monday, January 18, 2016.
FUNDED BY AN R25E TRAINING GRANT (R25-CA056452) FROM THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE.
|IMPORTANT NOTE: This program is not to be confused with the MD Anderson CPRIT (Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas) Summer Undergraduate Program. Click here to apply to their program. Also note, MD Anderson Summer Experience applicants may apply to multiple programs but must create an application account per internship and upload required documents for each application. In most cases, these required documents will be duplicate.|
The Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) summer research experience is designed for undergraduate, graduate, and health professional students and provides mentored research experiences in a wide range of behavioral, quantitative, and basic science disciplines relevant to cancer prevention. This program includes career development and exploration activities. Students may not have other employment during the internship period.
All applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Open to undergraduate, graduate and health professional students (including medical school, pharm D, nursing, etc.) interested in Cancer Prevention.
- For the fall semester of the application year, applicants must have one of the following designations:
- Undergraduate Junior (rising) or Undergraduate Senior (rising),
- Graduate Student,
- Health professional student (medical school, dental school, etc.).
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree program at a degree-granting institution (during the Spring semester of the application year).
- Students who will graduate with a Bachelors or Masters degree in May of the application year (transitioning to graduate or medical school), must submit proof of application OR proof of enrollment into a graduate or medical school program for the Fall semester, with their summer program application by the deadline. View acceptable proof of enrollment documents.
- Awardees of this fellowship must be able to provide immunizations by the 1st week of April. Read more about immunizations.
- Fellowship awardees must be available between February 1 and June 1 to complete additional time-sensitive paperwork that will require upload into the Discover system. Selected applicants must have access to all communications including telephone, internet, e-mail, and fax; and must be physically available in Houston, Texas to participate.
The following applicants are NOT eligible:
The minimum stipend is $10.00 per hour and subject to change. This rate is determined by the National Cancer Institute R25E grant (R25-CA056452). Paychecks will be issued on the 5th and the 20th of each month deducting the required federal tax. Students will not receive paid vacation or holiday pay.
What to Expect During This Experience
To learn more about the history of the CPRTP summer program, what to expect, work hours, activities and summer alumni, visit the About the CPRTP Summer Research Experience page.
What documents make up the summer program application?
The following items are required for Phase 1 of the summer application:
- Discover Application Form
- Additional Demographics & Future Plans Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Letters of Recommendation (Quantity = 2)
- Personal Statement (mentor choices must be included)
- Tobacco Policy Acknowledgement
- Unofficial Transcripts of Highest Degree (if you have applied to medical school or another institution and have not yet completed classes, you will submit your unofficial transcript from your PREVIOUS institution)
Are all application documents due by the application deadline, including letters of recommendation?
Yes. All documents including the two (2) required letters of recommendation are due by 11:59pm CST of the deadline. Due to high volume, ALL letters of recommendation must be submitted via the Discover system (per the instructions). Do not send letters directly to email@example.com.
Do I need a mentor to apply to the summer program?
No. Applicants are matched with mentors after they are accepted into the program, based on the information provided on the personal statement submitted with the application. Read more Summer Research Experience FAQs!
Browse this complete list of Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences faculty participating in the CPRTP Summer Research Experience. Applicants must include between 3 and 6 mentor choices from this page and include these choices in the Personal Statement submitted with the application.
Read more about additional summer programs offered at MD Anderson Cancer Center as part of the Summer Research Experience. Select a program to read the eligibility requirements and apply.
Summer Program Important Dates
November 30, 2015
The application link will be posted on this website on 11/30/15.
January 18, 2016 - 11:59pm CST
January 19 - February 12, 2016
Final E-mail Notification of Acceptance:
Submit Additional Docs in Discover:
Summer Program Start Date:
June 7, 2016
CPRTP Summer Exposition (Elevator Speeches & Poster Session):
MD Anderson Summer Experience Final Event - Poster Session & Elevator Speech Competition:
August 11, 2016
Summer Program End Date:
August 12, 2016
Upon acceptance, summer trainees will receive the actual deadline dates and more detailed information.
Summer Survival Guide
"I was just awarded a CPRTP Summer Research Experience fellowship--what happens next?"
Download the CPRTP Summer Survival Guide (pdf)!
Summer Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Read the Summer Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for answers to common application and program questions.