Short Term Research Experiences
FUNDED BY AN R25E TRAINING GRANT (R25-CA056452) FROM THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE.
|IMPORTANT NOTE: This program (CPRTP) is not to be confused with the MD Anderson CPRIT (Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas) Summer Undergraduate Program. Click here to apply to the CPRIT program. Also, MD Anderson Summer Experience applicants may apply to multiple programs but must create an application account per internship and upload required documents for each application. In most cases, these required documents will be duplicate.|
The Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) summer research experience is designed for undergraduate, graduate, and health professional students and provides mentored research experiences in a wide range of behavioral, quantitative, and basic science disciplines relevant to cancer prevention. This program includes career development and exploration activities. Students may not have other employment during the internship period.
All applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Open to undergraduate, graduate and health professional students interested in Cancer Prevention.
- Must have one of the following designations for the fall semester of the application year:
- Undergraduate Junior (rising) or Undergraduate Senior (rising),
- Graduate Student,
- Health professional student (medical, dental or nursing school; Pharm D, etc).
- Enrolled in a degree program at a degree-granting institution during the Spring semester of the application year.
- Students transitioning to graduate or medical school in the fall semester of the application year, must submit proof of application OR proof of enrollment into a graduate or medical school program with their summer program application by the deadline. View acceptable proof of enrollment documents.
- Must provide immunizations by the 1st week of March. Read about immunizations.
- Must have access to telephone, internet, e-mail & fax, between February 1 and June 1 to complete & upload additional time-sensitive paperwork to the Discover system. Awardees also must be physically available in Houston, Texas to participate.
The following applicants are NOT eligible:
This fellowship pays a stipend up to $12.50 per hour, which is determined and funded by the National Cancer Institute R25E grant (R25-CA056452). Paychecks will be issued on the 5th and the 20th of each month deducting the required federal tax. Students will not receive paid vacation or holiday pay.
What to Expect During This Experience
To learn about the history of the CPRTP summer program, what to expect, work hours, and mandatory activities, visit the About the CPRTP Summer Research Experience page.
- What documents make up the summer program application?
Phase 1 of the summer application consists of: 1) Discover Application Form, 2) Additional Demographics & Future Plans Form, 3) CV/Resume, 4) Letters of Recommendation (Quantity = 2), 5) Personal Statement (3 - 6 mentor choices must be listed), 6) Tobacco Policy Acknowledgement, 7) Proof of Selective Service, and 8) Criminal Background Check Form.
- Are all application documents due by the application deadline, including letters of recommendation?
Yes, all application documents including the two (2) required letters of recommendation must be uploaded to the Discover system by 11:59pm CST of the deadline. Do not e-mail any recommendation letters nor application documents to email@example.com.
Summer applicants do not need a mentor to apply. Applicants must select between three (3) and no more than six (6) mentor choices from this complete list of CPRTP summer faculty mentors and include those names at the bottom of the Personal Statement submitted with the application.
The link to the application will be available on this page beginning Monday, November 30, 2015.
January 18, 2016 - 11:59pm CT
January 19 - February 12, 2016
Notification of Acceptance:
Mid February, 2016
Immunizations due in Discover:
Early March, 2016
Summer Program Start Date:
June 7, 2016
Summer Program End Date:
August 12, 2016
Upon acceptance, summer students will receive detailed instructions & exact deadlines.
Summer Program Overview
Summer Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Read the Summer FAQs for answers to common application & program questions.
Photo: MD Anderson President, Dr. Ronald DePinho (L) & 2015 CPRTP Research Medical Student, Sid Venktaraman (R)
View the CPRTP Summer Alumni page
for recent student feedback,
hear final presentations &
view past program participants!