Short Term Research Experiences
FUNDED BY AN R25E TRAINING GRANT (R25-CA056452) FROM THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE.
We are no longer accepting applications. Please check this website on December 1, 2015 for the 2016 CPRTP Summer Research Experience announcement.
|IMPORTANT NOTE: This program is not to be confused with the MD Anderson CPRIT (Cancer Prevention Research Institute of Texas) Summer Undergraduate Program. Click here to apply to their program. Also note, MD Anderson Summer Experience applicants may apply to multiple programs but must create an application account per internship and upload required documents for each application. In most cases, these required documents will be duplicate.|
The Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) summer research experience is designed for undergraduate, graduate, and health professional students and provides mentored research experiences in a wide range of behavioral, quantitative, and basic science disciplines relevant to cancer prevention. This program includes career development and exploration activities. Students may not have other employment during the internship period.
All applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Must be a U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- Open to Undergraduate, Graduate and Medical School Students interested in Cancer Prevention.
- For the fall semester of the application year, applicants must have one of the following designations:
- Undergraduate Junior (rising) or Undergraduate Senior (rising),
- Graduate Student,
- Health professional student (medical school, dental school, etc.).
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree program at a degree-granting institution (during the Spring semester of the application year).
- Students who will graduate with a Bachelors or Masters degree in May of the application year (transitioning to graduate or medical school), must submit proof of application OR proof of enrollment into a graduate or medical school program for the Fall semester, with their summer program application by the deadline. View acceptable proof of enrollment documents.
- Awardees of this fellowship must be able to provide immunizations by the 1st week of April. Read more about immunizations.
- Fellowship awardees must be available between February 1 and August 15 to complete additional time-sensitive paperwork that will require upload into the Discover system. Selected applicants must have access to all communications including telephone, internet, e-mail, and fax; and must be physically available in Houston, Texas to participate.
The following applicants are NOT eligible:
The stipend is $10.00 per hour. This rate is non-negotiable and is determined by the National Cancer Institute R25E grant (R25-CA056452). Paychecks will be issued on the 5th and the 20th of each month deducting the required federal tax. Students will not receive paid vacation or holiday pay.
What to Expect During This Experience
To learn more about the history of the CPRTP summer program, what to expect, work hours, activities and summer alumni, visit the About the CPRTP Summer Research Experience page.
What documents make up the summer program application?
The following items are required for Phase 1 of the summer application:
- Discover Application Form
- Additional Demographics & Future Plans Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Letters of Recommendation (Quantity = 2)
- Personal Statement (mentor choices must be included)
- Tobacco Policy Acknowledgement
- Unofficial Transcripts of Highest Degree (if you have applied to medical school or another institution and have not yet completed classes, you will submit your unofficial transcript from your PREVIOUS institution)
Are all application documents due by the application deadline, including letters of recommendation?
Yes. All documents including the two (2) required letters of recommendation are due by 11:59pm CST of the deadline. Due to high volume, ALL letters of recommendation must be submitted via the Discover system (per the instructions). Do not send letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need a mentor to apply to the summer program?
No. Applicants are matched with mentors after they are accepted into the program, based on the information provided on the personal statement submitted with the application. Read more Summer Research Experience FAQs!
- Summer research experience applicants do not need a mentor to apply.
- Applicants are required to list a minimum of three (3) and maximum of six (6) mentor choices in your Personal Statement submitted with your application. Our program will match students with mentors based on those mentor choices and any additional information provided on your Personal Statement.
- Visit How to Find a Mentor Page for mentor search methods and resources.
Read more about additional summer programs offered at MD Anderson Cancer Center as part of the Summer Research Experience. Select a program to read the eligibility requirements and apply.
Summer Program Important Dates
We are no longer accepting applications.
The following dates apply to awardees and are subject to change:
Tuesday, January 20 through Friday, January 23, 2015
E-Mail Notification to Applicants Selected for Review:
Monday, January 26, 2015
Application Review by Review Committees
Wednesday, January 28 - Thursday, February 12, 2015
Final E-mail Notification of Acceptance:
Thursday, February 12, 2015
Additional Discover in Discover:
Friday, February 20 - Friday, March 27, 2015
Monday, February 23 - Friday, March 13, 2015
Summer Program Start Date:
Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Summer Program End Date:
Friday, August 7, 2015