About Our Program
Our mission is to recruit, educate, train, and launch scientists in successful careers in cancer prevention by providing the highest quality research training environment, mentoring relationships, and career development opportunities, with the goal of launching each trainee of the division toward the scientific research role of principal investigator early in his or her career.
- Recruit high-potential cancer prevention trainees of diverse backgrounds nationally and internationally;
- Immerse the trainee in the type of multi-disciplinary research environment typical of cancer prevention and control, with the endpoint objective of launching the trainee toward the scientific research role of principal investigator relatively early in his or her career;
- Coordinate a curriculum of educational activities in cancer prevention and career development training for trainees and faculty;
- Strengthen mentoring by providing resources, support, and guidance to trainees and mentors;
- Seek to become nationally and internationally renowned for outstanding training and education in cancer prevention and scholarly work in training and education.
- Increase knowledge of cancer prevention and control research and practice through curriculum-based learning;
- Obtain hands-on experience in ongoing cancer prevention and control research projects under the mentorship of established investigators;
- Participate in workshops, focusing on time management, scientific presentations, scientific writings, grant preparation and other professional development skills needed by scientists.
- Acquire mentored research experience
- Gain exposure to advanced technologies
- Develop applications for independent cancer research funding
- Develop possible thesis and dissertation topics
- Present findings at national research meetings
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals
- Find out about possible loan repayment opportunities