Grant Writing Seminars
March 5-6, 2015
Hickey Auditorium and the Anderson Conference Hall
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
1515 Holcombe Boulevard
- On-site Registration opens at 7:30 a.m., Thursday, March 5, 2015 and at 8:00 a.m., Friday, March 6, 2015. The opening session will begin at 8:30 a.m.on Thursday and Friday, March 5 and 6, 2014.
- Advance registration is encouraged as space and materials are limited.
Please do not use Google Chrome browser for the On-Line Registration Process. Google Chrome is presently not compatible with our registration system
- Registration Information
- Grant Writing Seminar Flyer
- Houston Visitor Information
- Directions to MD Anderson
About the Seminars
The Department of Scientific Publications is bringing back to MD Anderson the widely acclaimed “Write Winning Grant Proposals” and “How to Write a Successful Career Development Award Proposal” series of seminars, presented by Stephen W. Russell, PhD, of Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC. The two seminars address both practical and conceptual aspects of the proposal-writing process.
Seminar 1 - Write Winning Grant Proposals
Thursday, March, 5, 2015, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Registration Fee: $141.00 per person
“Write Winning Grant Proposals,” is based on the new NIH grant application guidelines. It will focus on helping you:
- write for reviewers and “sell” your proposal;
- develop ideas and organize your presentations using linear progression of logic to guide reviewers through your application;
- write for two different reviewer audiences—those who have read the entire application before the review meeting and those who have not—and still develop advocacy for funding in both groups.
Seminar 2 - How to Write a Successful Career Development Award Proposal
Friday, March 6, 2015, 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Registration Fee: $93.00
“How to Write a Successful Career Development Award Proposal” will focus on individual mentored training grants and career development awards and is recommended for trainees, junior faculty members, and their mentors and/or advisors.
To attend Seminar 1 and 2 - Registration Fee: $171.00
Attendees will receive extensive handouts, including the slides and examples used during the seminars, as well as a copy of The Grant Application Writer’s Workbook.
For more information about Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC, visit http://www.grantcentral.com/.
About the Presenter
Stephen W. Russell, PhD, cofounder of Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops, LLC, was funded continuously from the early 1970s by the NIH, USDA, American Cancer Society, foundations, and industry. Grants awarded included individual-investigator–initiated research awards, program project grants, and training grants. In 1999, he elected to enter emeritus status and concentrate on Grant Writers’ Seminars and Workshops full time. He has served on multiple national review panels and advisory groups and has received awards for teaching excellence.
Dr. Russell earned his PhD in comparative pathology at the University of California–Davis and was a postdoctoral research fellow at the Scripps Research Institute. At the University of Kansas Medical Center, he was the Wilkinson Distinguished Professor of Cancer Research; Director of the Cancer Center; and Professor in the departments of Pathology and of Immunology and Medical Microbiology.
Parking: is available in Garage 10. It is located on the east side of Clark Clinic between MD Anderson Boulevard and Braeswood. When you arrive at the garage, you must take a smart chip token from the machine in order to raise the gate arm to enter the garage. When you leave your car, be sure to take this token with you as you will need it to pay the parking fee when you leave. Take the garage elevator to floor 3, and walk across the crosswalk to enter Clark Clinic. At the first bank of elevators you come to, take the elevator to floor 11, and follow the signs to the conference registration desk.
Parking is $12 per day. There are no cashiers in Garage 10. Instead, there are EasyPay Stations in the crosswalk on floor 3. The EasyPay Stations are self-serve payment stations. You must have your smart chip parking token with you in order to pay the parking fee. When you insert your smart chip token into the machine, it will tell you how much you owe. Pay that amount using either cash or a credit card. The machine will electronically mark your smart chip “paid” and give it back to you. Use your “paid” smart chip to raise the gate arm and exit the garage.
Courtyard by Marriott-Houston-Medical Center
7702 Main St
Houston, Texas 77030
Houston Marriott at the Texas Medical Center
6580 Fannin Street
Houston, Texas 77030
Crowne Plaza Hotel Medical Center Houston
8686 Kirby Drive at I-610 South,
Houston, Texas 77054
Other area hotels visit: www.hotels.com
Ground Transportation (prices are subject to change)
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $50-60 to or from William P. Hobby Airport or George Bush Intercontinental Airport.
- Super Shuttle operates a shuttle bus between George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel for $27 one-way, $54 round-trip. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll free at 800-258-3826 or on-line at www.supershuttle.com.
- Super Shuttle operates a shuttle bus between William P. Hobby Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel for $24 one-way and $48 round-trip. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll free at
800-258-3826 or on-line at www.supershuttle.com.
The registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received on or before February 26, 2015. No refunds will be granted after that date. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check. For additional information, contact CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at 866-849-5866.
The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to cancel activities prior to the scheduled date if low enrollment or other circumstances make it necessary. Each registrant will be notified by mail, e-mail, or by the phone or fax numbers provided on the registration form.
In case of activity cancellation, the liability of the Department of CME/Conference Management is limited to the registration fee. CME/Conference Management will refund the full registration fee. The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to limit the number of participants in a program and is not responsible for any expenses incurred by an individual whose registration is not confirmed and for whom space is not available.
Contact the Department of CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at 866-849-5866 if you have any special dietary or ADA accommodation needs.