Integrated Ethics Internship
Fall: September 16, 2014 through December 12, 2014
Application Deadline: July 1, 2014
Applications are being accepted at this time.
The goals of the Integrated Ethics Internship Program at MD Anderson Cancer Center are:
- To provide an introduction to clinical, research and/or organizational ethics for qualified individuals with a particular interest in health care ethics.
- To provide qualified individuals with the opportunity to contribute to activities and projects of the Section of Integrated Ethics.
Internship Program Components
The Internship Program is designed to meet the strengths, needs and academic requirements of each Intern. Interns are expected to develop a personal learning plan incorporating opportunities from the following four components:
1. Clinical Ethics
- Attend Ethics Case Consultations.
- Round with the Clinical Ethicists in the Intensive Care Units and with other clinical services.
- Attend educational sessions sponsored by the Section of Integrated Ethics.
- Round with diverse members of the multi-disciplinary treatment teams and ethics faculty
- Attend quarterly meetings of the Clinical Ethics Consultation Committee and other pertinent meetings of section.
- Record clinical experiences and discuss them at regularly scheduled meetings with the Clinical Ethicists.
2. Research Ethics
- Attend at least one meeting each of the IRB/Surveillance Committee, the Clinical Research Committee, and the Psychosocial, Behavioral & Health Services Research Committee, with the permission of the chairs of those committees.
- Select a research project compatible with the Intern's interests, academic requirements and the needs of the Section of Integrated Ethics.
- Meet regularly with the Clinical Ethicists to report on the progress of the research project and receive feedback and guidance.
- Formally present the results of the research project.
3. Organizational Ethics
- Participate in policy development meetings facilitated by the Section of Integrated Ethics.
4. Academic Ethics
- Participate in a directed-reading program with the Clinical Ethicists. The readings selected for discussion can be related to the Intern's research project or academic requirements.
- Attend lectures and presentations at MD Anderson and other institutions related to clinical, organizational and research ethics.
Candidates must be senior undergraduate students, graduate students, or have completed an undergraduate degree in an academic or professional discipline. Candidates must also have strong communication and interpersonal skills, as well as competence in research and writing.
Considerations for the selection process will include:
- Compatibility of the candidate's interests with the capabilities of MD Anderson's Section of Integrated Ethics
- The candidate's academic training and/or experience related to ethics
- The quality of the candidate's letter of intent
- The candidate's letters of recommendation
Generally, Interns are accepted for the academic year's Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. A full-time internship requiring 40 hours per week. The internship is full time.
The Intern will receive supervision, mentoring, and feedback from the Clinical Ethicists throughout the Internship. At the completion of the Internship, the Intern will receive feedback to assess whether the Intern has met the objectives of the personalized learning plan.
The Clinical Ethics Internship is a non-compensated position. The Intern will be responsible for his or her own expenses incurred during the Internship (e.g., parking, meals).
Applications for the Clinical Ethics Internship are accepted through MD Anderson Cancer Center’s DISCOVER System. Access to this system requires a password that is generated when the applicant creates an account on the DISCOVER System.
To request DISCOVER Account or for more information, please contact:
Brittany Campbell, Program Coordinator
The following materials must be submitted via the DISCOVER system or via hard copy:
- Application (biographical information and school information)
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume
- Proof of Enrollment – This may be a letter from the Registrar, Academic Official, or Office of the Dean of the institution or program where the student is currently enrolled (does not have to be an official transcript) reiterating that this individual is in good standing and is currently enrolled in XYZ program related to this educational experience. The letter must be on letterhead and dated no more than one year prior to the appointment.
- Immunizations: A form is provided in the DISCOVER system. Please follow instructions carefully. Required immunizations include Measles, Mumps & Rubella (MMR), Varicella (Chicken Pox), TB Skin Test, Tetanus, and Diphtheria & Pertussis (Tdap)
- Criminal Background Check Form (legally required for all trainees)
- Credential Evaluation – only required if the applicable degree was not obtained in the US.
- Letters of Recommendation – Integrated Ethics required three letters of recommendation, with at least one letter from a professor or academic advisor. The letters should detail length of time and capacity in which the individual has known the applicant, and why the internship is important to the applicant's career goals.
- Letter of intent stating:
- Why the applicant is interested in the internship, including academic interests and/or personal experiences
- Goals and objectives for the internship
- Academic and professional training
- Personal traits that make you well-suited for the internship.
- Proof of Selective Service Registration
Brittany Campbell, Program Coordinator
Integrated Ethics - Unit 1430
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
PO Box 304102
Houston, Texas 77230-1402
Phone: (713) 792-8775
Fax: (713) 745-0674
Personal and/or telephone interviews with the Clinical Ethicists are a requirement for appointment.
In accordance with institutional standards, upon selection and notification by the Section of Integrated Ethics, the Intern will be required to submit a physician’s certification of general health (pdf), immunization record, and TB test result prior to appointment.