Applications are not being accepted at this time
The Bioethics Initiative fellowship program will be tailored to each individual fellow based upon previous training and experience as well as future goals.
The curriculum will include advanced topics in health care ethics, research ethics and equity in health care. Candidates will learn how to integrate their previously mastered skills with other scholarly approaches to produce multi-dimensional analyses of bioethical research problems focused on equity. Clinical observation is required.
Completion of a degree compatible with the goals of the program from an accredited institution is required. A doctorate degree is preferred.
Fellows must observe in the clinical setting with a clinical ethicist, Integrated Ethics faculty member, or Ethics Consultation Committee member. Integrated Ethics and clinical observation hours total 20% of time. Observation opportunities include:
- Intensive care unit (ICU) medical rounds, ICU multidisciplinary rounds, hospitalist multidisciplinary rounds
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) scientific studies and behavioral studies
- Observation of an ethics consult
- Stem cell transplant and lymphoma nursing ethics rounds and journal clubs, Breast Medical Oncology Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) Ethics
- Clinical Cancer Genetics Multidisciplinary Patient Conference: Breast cancer and atypical breast hyperplasia or gastrointestinal cancer
- Other possible rotations: pediatrics, palliative care and thoracic medicine
Integrated Ethics faculty will arrange for fellows to spend 2-4 hours observing ethics and patient care from a specific discipline in the following units:
- Breast Medical Oncology
- Chaplaincy & Pastoral Education
- International Center
- Pain Management Center
- Patient Advocacy
- Social Work: inpatient and outpatient
- Volunteer Services
Additional Required Education for Fellows
- Three-day clinical research training (Human Subjects Protection Training)
- Spirituality in health care
- MD Anderson through the lens of diversity
- Personal time management
How to Apply
- Application information: including eligibility, selection criteria and application materials.