UTSaver Tax Sheltered Annuity 403(b)
The UTSaver Tax-sheltered Annuity Program (TSA) is a 403(b) voluntary retirement program that can significantly reduce your current taxes and help you save for retirement. This program offers two types of contributions which are both taken through payroll deduction:
- Traditional (pre-tax) or
- Roth (after-tax) contributions
This defined contribution plan offers two special “Catch-up” provisions for eligible employees.
- Variety of investment options
- Catch-up Options for employees closer to retirement
- Participation supplements your TRS retirement benefit
- Defined contribution plans allow for more risk, and higher returns
Eligibility & Enrollment
All employees receiving a paycheck are eligible to contribute to these plans. Employees enroll, manage and make changes to these plans online through UTRetirement Manager.
The program does not include an employer contribution. Contributions are made through payroll deduction and may be invested in fixed or variable annuities or mutual funds with the approved providers.
You can get started for as little as $15 per month or contribute as much as 100% of your eligible compensation, not to exceed your maximum contribution limit per calendar year.
|Year||Contribution Limit for Traditional and Roth Combined||Age 50+ Catch-up*|
(Traditional + Roth)
|15 Years of Service Catch-up**|
(Traditional + Roth)
* You must be 50 years or older during the calendar year of your participation.
** You must have 15 or more years of service and your previous deferrals must average less than $5,000 per year. A $15,000 lifetime maximum applies to this catch-up.
You may contribute up to the maximum in both the 403(b) and 457(b) each year. Contributions to the 403(b) plan does not affect your contributions to the 457(b).
Traditional vs. Roth
- Traditional (pre-tax) contributions will reduce your taxable income. As investments grow, the earnings are tax-deferred until funds are withdrawn.
- Roth (after-tax) contributions will allow you to make tax-free withdrawals, if qualified. They won't reduce your current taxable income.
- Enroll, manage and make changes to your retirement plans
- Review fund performance
- Use life-cycle savings calculators
My Retirement Outlook
Comprehensive tool for predicting your retirement income using Social Security, TRS, voluntary retirement plans or other savings and investments.
UT System Retirement Programs
Overview of programs offered to employees.
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.