Box Document Sharing and Collaboration
Box.com (Box) is the cloud-based content management and collaboration solution provided by MD Anderson to its faculty, staff, students, trainees and contractors.
- Box replaces other cloud storage solutions including Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive.
- Box facilitates file sharing and collaboration in a secure online environment that complies with institutional security policies.
- Documents from commonly used applications like Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel may be created, managed, edited and shared in Box.
- MD Anderson users may give non-MD Anderson users access to Box content as determined by their permission levels.
- Users can access their Box accounts through a web browser from any desktop, laptop, iPad or iPhone connected to the internet.
Using Box on your laptop and desktop
Laptop and desktop users can access Box two different ways.
Connect to Box.com
- Recommended for file and folder sharing (collaboration).
- Users connect through a Web interface.
- Files and folders may be accessed, edited, shared and managed.
Connect with Box Sync
- Recommended for individual use (no collaboration).
- Users connect as if Box is a local drive on their system.
- It is strongly recommended not to use Box Sync for collaborative efforts.
- To use Box Sync, users will need to install Box Sync software.
- MD Anderson-owned laptops and desktops: Submit a request for Box Sync via 4INFO (4info@mdandersonorg).
- Users may use Box Sync on up to two devices (one laptop and one desktop; two laptops; two desktops).
Using Box on your mobile device
MD Anderson employees may download and install Box for iPhone and iPad from the MD Anderson App Catalog or the Apple App Store.
Please note: Box tracks the number of mobile devices used to access each Box account. This is called "device pinning" and helps to ensure the security of data stored on Box. To comply with institutional policies based on regulations established by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), MD Anderson allows each user to connect to Box with one iPhone and one iPad. To learn more, visit Device Pinning Overview and FAQs.
- May be accessed via iPad and iPhone
- MD Anderson employees sign on using their myID credentials
- Intuitive drag-and-drop interface
- Ability to set access permission at the document and folder levels
- Version control at the document level
- Share and collaborate with other Box users, both within and beyond MD Anderson
- Unlimited storage with the ability to upload files up to 5GB in size
- Synchronization between Box and user’s local desktop folder
- File encryption at Box and across the network
Get into Box
- Visit mdacc.app.box.com to get started.
- MD Anderson employees, enter your myID user name and password to log in to your Box account.
- Non-MD Anderson employees will need to receive a collaboration invitation to access MD Anderson enterprise Box accounts.
- Find answers to your questions on the FAQs page.
- Review the use and collaboration guidelines to understand best practices when assigning roles to users for specific use cases.
- Review the Cloud Storage Privacy and Security Tutorial (pdf) to understand the do's and don'ts of sharing data in the cloud.
- Learn about our Data Classification Guidelines and Ratings (pdf) that specify what data can and cannot be shared in the cloud.
- Visit success.box.com for online training and support resources.