Active Living after Cancer (ALAC), is a Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) funded program. The program aims to improve the quality of life of cancer survivors in Houston and El Paso by promoting physical activity, and by providing navigation services for survivorship issues. A large and growing number of cancer survivors in Texas, especially those who are medically underserved, necessitates effective programs to help survivors improve their health and physical functioning, thereby reducing the risk of cancer recurrence or new cancers.
The program consists of 12 weekly sessions, followed by a reunion at the conclusion of the program. Each session is comprised of cognitive and behavioral skills training related to increasing physical activity, a guided discussion on a survivorship topic, and short bouts of moderate physical activity. The program is free of charge, and each participant will be provided a pedometer and a resistance band, that they may keep, to help them reach their physical activity goals.
To be eligible to participate in the program, the participants must:
- Have a previous diagnosis of cancer at the time of enrollment.
- Not be receiving chemotherapy or radiation at the time of enrollment.
To find a location near you, or to register for a class, please call:
- Houston locations (English): 713-442-1219 or 713-442-1216
- Houston locations (Spanish): 713-442-1216 or 713-665-3103
- El Paso locations (Spanish): 915-771-6305
For more information about the program or to be a host site, please contact our Program Coordinator, Patricia Tracy at ALACprogram@mdanderson.org.
Active Living After Cancer Telemundo interview
- Kelsey Research Foundation
- Cancer and Chronic Disease Consortium
- Project CHURCH
ALAC will be initiating new groups in Houston:
(1) Our Mother of Mercy Church: 4000 Sumpter St. Houston, TX 77020
- Language: English
- Start TBD (Accepting new participants)
(2) Kelsey-Seybold | Main Campus: 2727 W Holcombe Blvd. Houston, TX 77025
- Starts Saturday, January 25, 2020 (Accepting new participants)
(3) Kelsey-Seybold | Sugarland: 11555 University Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77478
- Starts Thursday, January 16, 2020 (Accepting new participants)
(4) Kelsey-Seybold | Humble: 8233 N Sam Houston Pkwy E, Humble, TX 77396
- Starts Monday, February 3, 2020 (Accepting new participants)
(5) Kelsey-Seybold | Spring: 15655 Cypress Woods Medical Dr. Houston, TX 77014
- Starts Tuesday, February 18, 2020 (Accepting new participants)
ALAC will be initiating new groups in El Paso:
New class announcements to come!
Active Living after Cancer
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Patricia Tracy, Program Coordinator
MD Anderson Cancer Prevention Center
1155 Pressler Street
Houston, TX 77030