Video description, if desired
Active Living after Cancer (ALAC), is a Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) funded program. The program aims to improve the quality of life of cancer survivors in Houston and El Paso by promoting physical activity, and by providing navigation services for survivorship issues. A large and growing number of cancer survivors in Texas, especially those who are medically underserved, necessitates effective programs to help survivors improve their health and physical functioning, thereby reducing the risk of cancer recurrence or new cancers.
The program consists of 12 weekly sessions, followed by a reunion at the conclusion of the program. Each session is comprised of cognitive and behavioral skills training related to increasing physical activity, a guided discussion on a survivorship topic, and short bouts of moderate physical activity. The program is free of charge, and each participant will be provided a pedometer and a resistance band, that they may keep, to help them reach their physical activity goals.
To be eligible to participate in the program, the participants must:
- Have a previous diagnosis of cancer at the time of enrollment.
- Not be receiving chemotherapy or radiation at the time of enrollment.
To find a location near you, or to register for a class, please call:
- Houston locations (English): 713-442-1219 or 713-442-1216
- Houston locations (Spanish): 713-442-1231 or 713-665-3103
- El Paso locations (Spanish): 915-771-6305
For more information about the program or to be a host site, please contact Lizette Rangel at ALACprogram@mdanderson.org.
Active Living After Cancer Telemundo interview
- Kelsey Research Foundation
- Cancer and Chronic Disease Consortium
- Project CHURCH
ALAC will be initiating new groups in Houston:
- Kelsey-Seybold Katy: 22121 FM 1093, Richmond 77407
- Kelsey-Seybold Sugar Land: 11555 University Blvd., Sugar Land 77478
- Omnia HealthCare Decorative Center of Houston: 5120 Woodway Dr. #7012, Houston 77056
- Kelsey-Seybold Pasadena: 5001 E. Sam Houston Parkway S., Pasadena 77505
- YMCA Houston Texans: 5202 Griggs Road, Houston 77021
- Kelsey-Seybold Pearland: 2515 Business Center Dr., Pearland 77584
- Kelsey-Seybold Spring: 15655 Cypress Woods Medical Dr., Houston 77014
- Kelsey-Seybold Woodlands: 106 Vision Park Blvd., Shenandoah 77384
- The Tabernacle of Praise: 8814 Tidwell Road, Houston 77078
- Fallbrook Church: 12512 Walters Road, Houston 77014
- Kelsey-Seybold Cypress: 13114 FM 1960 West #200, Houston 77065
- Kelsey-Seybold The Vintage: 10701 Vintage Preserve Pkwy., Houston 77070
- Baker-Ripley Neighborhood Center: 6500 Rookin St., Houston 77074
- Kelsey-Seybold Main Campus: 2727 W. Holcombe Blvd., Houston, 77025
- Galena Park Resource and Training Center: 17211 6th St., Galena Park 77547
ALAC will be initiating new groups in El Paso:
- Cancer and Chronic Disease Consortium: 6070 Gateway East, Suite 310, El Paso 79905
- Del Sol Regional Oncology Center: 10460 Vista Del Sol Dr., Suite 100, El Paso 79925
Active Living after Cancer
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Lizette Rangel, Program Coordinator
MD Anderson Cancer Prevention Center
1155 Pressler Street
Houston, TX 77030