MD Anderson to host childhood cancer awareness event, “Let the golden times roll”
MD Anderson Media Advisory 02/13/2015
The University of Texas MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital is hosting a Mardi Gras golden-themed childhood cancer awareness event honoring pediatric patients and families affected by childhood cancer. Wearing traditional beads, feathers and masks, MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital pediatric patients will parade down the halls of the hospital’s main building while families, faculty and staff enjoy the festivities.
MD Anderson Children’s Cancer Hospital will kick off the event by welcoming a special Houston family who is walking across the country to celebrate the legacy of their daughter, 8-year-old Julia Cobb. Julia lost her battle to Ewing’s sarcoma during her Make-a-Wish trip to Disney World Oct. 2013. The hospital will serve as the halfway mark of Team JuCan’s journey from Disneyland to Disney World to raise awareness and funds for pediatric cancer research.
When: 10:30 a .m. – noon, Monday, Feb. 16th
Where: MD Anderson main entrance and The Park, Donor Wall (Main Building, Floor 2)
Media: Please park in Garage #2. Please enter the garage from Holcombe Blvd. using entrance #3. A representative from MD Anderson Communications Office will be in the lobby of the main building to escort news crews to the event.
Schedule of Events:
• 10:30 a.m. Team JuCan arrives at MD Anderson’s Main Building
• 10:35 a.m. Team JuCan greeted by MD Anderson President,
Ron DePinho, M.D.
• 10:37 a.m. The University of Houston Marching Band will lead the parade
Procession with team JuCan, DePinho and pediatric patients
• 11:00 a.m. Parade procession to arrive in MD Anderson’s The Park
• 11:05 a.m. Welcome and brief remarks by Dean Lee, M.D., Ph.D., associate
Professor of pediatrics
• 11:10 a.m. Pediatric cancer survivor, Claire McClellan, speaks about her
• 11:15 a.m. Jonathan and Jennifer Cobb talk about their cancer journey
• 11:25 a.m. Final remarks by Dr. Lee
• 11:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be served while the band plays
• 11:35 p.m. Media interviews arranged by Katrina Burton,
MD Anderson’s External Communications Office