The MD Anderson Summer Experience will take place June 5-Aug. 10, 2018. Applications will be accepted between Dec. 1 and mid-January.
To apply, you must complete the three phases detailed below. The phases take place primarily in Discover, our online application system. Immunization health records must be uploaded to the Certified Profile area in Discover. You will need to submit some items via email.
To apply through Discover:
- Visit the program links at left.
- Choose the program that most interests you.
- Use the link on the program page to apply through Discover.
- Follow the instructions for uploading the required documents.
- Download and complete each form using the Get Form feature.
- All pages, not only the signature page, of completed documents must be uploaded to Discover.
- Signatures must be handwritten, not typed or entered electronically. Forms without a handwritten signature will be rejected.
- All handwritten data must be printed clearly and legibly. Other than the signature, do not use cursive writing. Forms that are not legible will be rejected.
- Application accounts cannot be moved from one program to a different program. If you wish to apply to more than one program, create a separate account for each program and upload the appropriate documents to each account. Only one offer will be made if you are selected to participate.
Send inquiries to SummerExperience@mdanderson.org.
How to Apply
- Additional Demographics and Future Plans Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation (2)
- Tobacco Policy Acknowledgement
- Unofficial Transcript of Highest Degree: Highest degree conferred, not a degree in progress
After Phase 1, programs will review applications, and accepted applicants will be contacted with offers of summer positions. Accepted applicants will receive emails from Discover with requests for additional documents to be completed, signed and uploaded. Applicants will be contacted with further instructions and deadlines.
- Notification of Personal and Criminal History Background Check Form: Students will receive a link and instructions to complete and submit this electronic form.
- Proof of Registration With the Selective Service System*
- Release of Liability Form
- Immunization Compliance Form: Must be uploaded after all health documents are uploaded and approved in the Certified Profile
After you have uploaded your Immunization Compliance Form and other required Phase 2 documents, the documents will be reviewed and approved or rejected. A recommendation will be generated for appointment. After appointment letters have been issued, students who have been approved will move to Phase 3 of the application process.
* All documents are required to be completed, even if they do not apply to you. If a document does not apply, download the document, write "N/A" on it and upload the document.
- Appointment Letter: Please sign and date the last page of this document and upload ALL pages into Discover.
- Photo for ID Badge: You will receive an email requesting a photo. The photo, which you will submit as an email attachment, must meet the requirements outlined in the email. The photo will be used for your MD Anderson ID badge. Photos not in compliance will be rejected.
- Electronic Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verication): Students who will receive a stipend will receive an email in May with instructions to complete Section 1 of Electronic Form I-9. Failure to comply will cause a delay in your start date.
Students also will be required to present original copies of the acceptable documents in order to complete the E-Verify process.
UTHealth Summer Programs
You might also be interested in the UTHealth Summer Research Programs, sponsored by The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. Its summer program is not related to the MD Anderson Summer Experience. UTHealth, like MD Anderson, is a component of The University of Texas System.