- Clinical Education for Non-Physicians
- Clinical Chemistry Fellowship
- Clinical Ethics Fellowship
- Clinical Ethics Online Certificate Program
- Clinical Pastoral Education
- Graduate Level Oncologic Speech Language Pathology Trainee Program
- Imaging Physics Residency Program
- Neuropsychology Fellowship
- Office of Physician Assistant Education Internship
- Pharmacy PGY1/PGY2 Health Systems Pharmacy Administration Residency
- Pharmacy PGY1 Residency
- Pharmacy PGY2 Critical Care Residency
- Pharmacy PGY2 Medication-Use Safety and Policy Residency
- Pharmacy PGY2 Infectious Diseases Residency
- Pharmacy PGY2 Oncology Residency
- Physician Assistant Student Elective Rotation
- Postgraduate Physician Assistant Program in Oncology
- Radiation Physics Residency
- Social Work Internship
Physician Assistant Student Elective Rotation
This four-week elective rotation is for PA students interested in a career in cancer care. Rotations are available in various specialties including medical, surgical and radiation oncology, as well as other disciplines involved in the care of cancer patients.
Students will be mentored by clinical PAs, nurse practitioners and/or physicians. Students will experience firsthand the care given to patients by multidisciplinary, interprofessional cancer care teams.
MD Anderson has affiliation agreements with nearly 70 PA schools across the United States. Students from these programs are invited to apply. Once a student is accepted into the program, an active affiliation agreement must be on file with MD Anderson. Please check with our office to determine if your PA program is affiliated with MD Anderson. If an agreement needs to be initiated or renewed, the process takes up to 120 days.
It is highly recommended that PA students plan their elective rotation during the later period of their clinical training. At a minimum, students must have 16 weeks of clinical rotations, including four weeks in medicine and four weeks in surgery rotations before participating in an elective at MD Anderson.
Applications are accepted quarterly and students are selected based on the competitiveness of their application and preceptor availability. Student applications will be evaluated in the following areas: academic excellence, passion for oncology, volunteerism, interest in working at MD Anderson and interest in postgraduate training. Reference forms submitted by a student's program are also considered.
For specific details regarding the application process, please review the following documents:
- Student Elective Rotation Descriptions (pdf)
- Please note: The Pediatrics and Critical Care (ICU) rotations have very limited placements. New rotations now being offered are in Interventional Radiology and with our Nocturnal Teams.
- Student Elective Rotation Application Process (pdf)
We are currently accepting applications for rotations in March -May 2024. The deadline to apply is August 1, 2023 and students will be notified of their acceptance status in mid to late-September 2023. Please contact the Office of PA Programs at email@example.com to begin the application process or if you have any questions.
Upcoming rotation dates and application deadlines:
|Rotation Time Frame||Application Period Begins||Application Due Date|
||May 1, 2023||August 1, 2023
||August 1, 2023
||November 1, 2023
||November 1, 2023
||February 1, 2024
|December 2024-February 2025||February 1, 2024||May 1, 2024|
COVID 19 UPDATES: Rotating clinical trainees are no longer required to undergo COVID testing at MD Anderson prior to a rotation. If a trainee tests positive for COVID prior to the start of their rotation, the trainee must quarantine for 7 days and bring a letter from their home program attesting that the trainee has not experienced any COVID symptoms within 24 hours. This letter will be used to determine if a trainee is cleared to start the rotation. A negative COVID test is also recommended.
The following are helpful resources once students are accepted into the program that may answer common questions before and during a clinical rotation at MD Anderson:
- Pre-Rotation FAQ (pdf)
- Day 1 of Rotation FAQ (pdf)
Physician Assistant Education Programs
Learn more about our program
Katie DeLucia, MPAS, PA-C
Associate Director of Physician Assistant Practice
Michelle Castillo, MHA
Operations Manager, Advanced Practice
Office of Physician Assistant Education
PO Box 301402
Houston, TX 77230-1402
Mendelsohn Faculty Center, 12th Floor
1515 Holcombe Blvd., Unit 418
Houston Texas 77030