Short Term Research Experiences
FUNDED BY AN R25E TRAINING GRANT (R25-CA056452) FROM THE NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE.
We are not accepting applications at this time. The application opens November 30th annually.
|NOTE: This program (CPRTP) is not to be confused with the MD Anderson CPRIT (Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas) Summer Undergraduate Program. Click here to apply to the CPRIT program. Also, MD Anderson Summer Experience applicants may apply to multiple programs but must create an application account per internship and upload required documents for each application. In most cases, these required documents will be duplicate.|
The Cancer Prevention Research Training Program (CPRTP) summer research experience is designed for undergraduate, graduate, and health professional students and provides mentored research experiences in a wide range of behavioral, quantitative, and basic science disciplines relevant to cancer prevention. This program includes career development and exploration activities. Students may not have other employment during the internship period.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Open to undergraduate, graduate and health professional students interested in Cancer Prevention.
- Must have one of the following designations for the fall semester of the application year:
- Undergraduate Junior (rising) or Undergraduate Senior (rising),
- Graduate Student,
- Health professional student (medical, dental or nursing school; Pharm D, etc).
- Must be enrolled in a degree program at a degree-granting institution during the Spring semester of the application year. Students transitioning to graduate or medical school must provide proof of application (copy of medical or graduate school application), or proof of enrollment into medical or graduate school.
- Must commit to the full ten-week program, and not be involved in other summer employment or course work. Partial participation is not allowed.
- Must provide immunizations by the 1st week of March. Read about immunizations.
- Must have access to telephone, internet, e-mail & fax, between February 1 and June 1 to complete & upload additional time-sensitive paperwork to the Discover system.
The following applicants are NOT eligible:
- High School students.
- Students with a degree, but are not enrolled in a program within a degree-granting institution.
- Foreign nationals holding VISAS.
This fellowship pays a stipend up to $12.50 per hour, which is determined and funded by the National Cancer Institute R25E grant (R25-CA056452). Paychecks will be issued on the 5th and the 20th of each month deducting the required federal tax. Students will not receive paid vacation or holiday pay.
What to Expect During This Experience
To learn about the history of the CPRTP summer program, what to expect, work hours, and mandatory activities, visit the About the CPRTP Summer Research Experience page.
- What documents make up the summer program application?
Phase 1 of the summer application consists of: 1) Discover Application Form, 2) Additional Demographics & Future Plans Form, 3) CV/Resume, 4) Letters of Recommendation (Quantity = 2), 5) Personal Statement (3 - 6 mentor choices must be listed), 6) Tobacco Policy Acknowledgement, 7) Unofficial Transcript of Highest Degree.
- Do I need to submit ALL unofficial transcripts from all universities I previously attended?
No. Upload the unofficial transcript from your current institution or institution of highest degree. Usually, the transcript will reflect any transfer credits or previously obtained degrees. If you have recently graduated, you may upload the unofficial transcript from your previous institution.
- Are all application documents due by the application deadline, including letters of recommendation?
Yes all documents must be uploaded to the Discover system by 11:59pm CT of the deadline.
- I graduate with a B.S. degree in May and have yet to apply to graduate school in the fall. Can I apply?
Yes. Applicants must intend to enroll in graduate/medical school or have already been accepted. In addition, list your Spring and Fall academic designation (of the application year) on the Additional Demographics and Future Plans form. Proof of application (copy of medical or graduate school application) or proof of enrollment (view examples); must be uploaded into your Discover account either with your Phase 1 application or after you are awarded a summer fellowship.
Summer applicants do not need a mentor to apply. Applicants must select between three (3) and no more than six (6) mentor choices from this complete list of CPRTP summer faculty mentors and include those names at the bottom of the Personal Statement submitted with the application.
Summer Program Overview
Summer Program Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Read the Summer FAQs for answers to common application & program questions.
Photo: MD Anderson President, Dr. Ronald DePinho (L) & 2015 CPRTP Research Medical Student, Sid Venktaraman (R)
View the CPRTP Summer Alumni page
for recent student feedback,
hear final presentations &
view past program participants!