If the tumor is in a favorable location, surgery to completely remove the tumor is performed followed by chemotherapy to eliminate any lingering cancer cells.
Since complete surgical removal of the tumor is not always possible, a combined approach using chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery may be necessary. For tumors that are difficult to reach, radiation is used with chemotherapy.
If your child has been diagnosed with rhabdomyosarcoma, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Our Rhabdomysarcoma Clinical Trials
The most innovative treatments for childhood solid tumors are offered as part of clinical trials, which are closely monitored studies to test the safety and effectiveness of new treatments. Go to MD Anderson's list of current pediatric clinical trials to see if your child might be eligible.
You can also visit our Clinical Trials database or speak to your doctor.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- The Children’s Cancer Hospital is within the No. 1 cancer center in America
- Access to novel therapies and state-of-the-art technologies before most children’s hospitals
- We see more types of cancer than any other children’s hospital in Texas
- Family-centered care that actively involves parents in their child’s treatment
- A strong cancer research program focused on developing new therapies for pediatric patients
- Comprehensive support services such as an accredited school program, creative arts, child life and career counseling
- An Adolescent and Young Adult Program that specializes in the unique medical and psychological needs of patients aged 15-25