Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Prevention and Screening
Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Screening
Cancer screening exams are important medical tests done when you’re at risk but don’t have symptoms. They help find cancer at its earliest stage, when the chances for successful treatment are best.
Unfortunately, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma cannot be detected early by any standard tests. However, here at MD Anderson, we’re working to develop screening tests for those at risk.
Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Risk Factors
Anything that increases your chance of getting non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is a risk factor. Although scientists don’t know yet what causes non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, some factors seem to make you more likely to develop non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. These include:
- Gender: Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is slightly more common in men
- Race: Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma is slightly more common in white people
- Living in a farming community. Some studies suggest that certain herbicides and pesticides may play a part in lymphoma, but this has not been proven
- Bacteria or viruses, including human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV) and the bacterium Helicobacter pylori
- Inherited syndromes
Not everyone with risk factors gets non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. However, if you have risk factors, you should discuss them with your doctor.
Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Prevention
Research shows that many cancers can be prevented. Visit the Prevention section of our website to find out steps you can take to avoid cancer.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Customized non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma treatments include vaccine and cytokine therapies, monoclonal antibodies, liposomal drug delivery and proton therapy
- Advanced therapies that deliver maximum effects with the least impact on your body
- Specialized team approach to long-term care
- One of nation’s most active lymphoma programs
- Renowned research program with numerous lymphoma clinical trials