Myelodysplastic Syndrome Symptoms
Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) often does not have symptoms in the early stages. If there are signs, they may be vague or like those for other medical problems. When myelodysplastic syndrome does have symptoms, they vary from person to person.
If you have myelodysplastic syndrome, your symptoms may include:
- Easy bruising
- Weight loss, loss of appetite
- Petechiae (tiny red spots just under the skin)
- Frequent infections
- Shortness of breath
These symptoms do not always mean you have MDS. However, it is important to discuss any symptoms with your doctor, since they may signal other health problems.
If you have been diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-MDA-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Internationally known myelodysplastic syndrome program
- More experience with myelodysplastic syndrome than most centers
- Close collaboration with referring physicians
- Innovative myelodysplastic syndrome therapies, including access to new agents and “mini” stem cell transplants
- Clinical trials of new treatments for myelodysplastic syndrome that may not be available elsewhere
- Myelodysplastic syndrome is part of MD Anderson's Moon Shots Program: an ambitious effort to reduce cancer deaths through the rapid discovery of new treatments