Adrenal Disease Diagnosis
Adrenal diseases are diverse and can be challenging to diagnose. It is essential that an endocrinologist familiar with adrenal disease recommends which tests you should have and analyzes your test results.
The experts at MD Anderson have a high level of expertise in diagnosing adrenal diseases. They use the latest techniques and technology to give you the most accurate and concise diagnosis possible, including radiographic scanning, adreno-venous sampling and biochemical testing. Comprehensive genetic testing and counseling are available if your family members have certain inherited disorders.
If you have symptoms that might signal an adrenal disease, your doctor will examine you and ask you questions about your health and your medical history. One or more of the following tests may be used to find out if you have an adrenal disease or if treatment is working.
Blood tests to evaluate levels of certain hormones, including cortisol, aldosterone, plasma metanephrines and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), or chemicals such as sodium and potassium.
Urine tests, which may include 24-hour urine collection tests.
Imaging tests, which may include:
- CT or CAT (computed axial tomography) scans
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans
- Nuclear medicine PET (positron emission tomography)
- MIGB scans
If you have been diagnosed with an adrenal disease, we’re here to help. Call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.
Why Choose MD Anderson?
- Advanced treatment of cancer and non-cancer adrenal diseases
- High level of experience with complex adrenal diseases
- Team approach includes highly trained, specialized endocrinologists, surgeons and experts
- Leading-edge adrenal disease treatments include laparoscopic surgery, targeted therapies, nuclear medicine agents
- Clinical trials of new treatments for some adrenal diseases
Adrenal Disease Knowledge Center
Getting a Second Opinion at MD Anderson
The experts at MD Anderson are highly specialized in diagnosing and staging adrenal diseases, from the more common to the extremely rare.
We welcome the opportunity to provide second opinions for adrenal diseases.
If you would like to get a second opinion at MD Anderson, call 1-877-632-6789 to make an appointment or request an appointment online.