How You Can Help
The following programs are designed exclusively for MD Anderson survivor volunteers.
The Anderson Network
This Volunteer Services program offers hope, support and understanding for cancer patients, survivors and caregivers from those who have been there.
Most Anderson Network programs are available to all cancer patients and caregivers regardless of where they received care.
- Matching patient to survivor, caregiver to caregiver - call 800-345-6324
- Annual Cancer Survivorship Conference
- Cancer180 programs for young adult survivors ages 18-39
- Hospitality Centers within MD Anderson staffed by survivor and caregiver volunteers
- Lunch and Learn presentations (PIKNIC)
- Educational and other support programs serving survivors and caregivers online and onsite
Survivors and caregivers are encouraged to join the Anderson Network
The Pink Ribbon Program
The Pink Ribbon Program brings volunteer survivors face-to-face with current patients undergoing treatment in the Breast Center.
Research supports the concept of peer support for cancer patients’ healing process and patient-to-patient shared experiences allow common fears or anxieties to be expressed, supporting a patient's cancer journey. In the program, carefully selected MD Anderson breast cancer survivor volunteers are trained to visit new and current MD Anderson patients and family members. Educated to listen to patient concerns and share appropriate personal cancer experiences, the volunteer also provides patient support with care, compassion and integrity.
In addition, volunteer survivors are available to medical personnel. Unlike some cancers, treatment for breast cancer involves a menu of options. Pink Ribbon volunteers help breast cancer patients become more comfortable with available treatments by demonstrating their surgical results and answering questions about their personal treatment experiences.
Become a volunteer
Interested in becoming an MD Anderson volunteer?
- Complete the Volunteer Interest Questionnaire.
- If there is a position that matches your interests, skills and schedule, you will be contacted by a staff member in the Department of Volunteer Services.
- For more information contact Volunteer Services at 713-792-JOIN (5646) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer Services brochure