How You Can Help
MD Anderson employs more than 19,000 people, including more than 1,600 faculty members. There are faculty and staff working in four regional locations in the greater Houston area (Bay Area, Katy, Sugar Land, The Woodlands) and two research campuses in Bastrop County, Texas, in addition to a a network of national and international locations. There's a career opportunity for everyone on our dynamic team!
Become an adult volunteer
Volunteers in the Adult Program must meet the following requirements:
Prior to becoming a volunteer
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation
- Complete an application which you will receive at the Volunteer Orientation
- Schedule a Volunteer Services placement interview
- Specific hospital and departmental training
- Volunteer commitment:
Day: weekly 4-hour shift
Evening: weekly 2-hour shift
Weekend: weekly 3-hour shift
- Attend a Volunteer In-Service: Making A Difference in the Patient Experience
- Complete a Continuing Education credit
- Punctuality and consistent attendance, accomplishing minimum service requirements
Interested in becoming an MD Anderson volunteer?
- Complete the Volunteer Interest Questionnaire
- If there is a position that matches your interests, skills and schedule, you will be contacted by a staff member in the Department of Volunteer Services
- For more information contact Volunteer Services at 713-792-JOIN (5646) or email@example.com
- Volunteer Services brochure
Find our more by watching our recruitment video!
Volunteers: Making a Difference, Making Cancer History
Volunteer opportunities cover the spectrum:
- Direct patient contact
- Limited patient contact
Volunteer opportunities coordinate with existing work schedules and lifestyles:
- Daytime placements
- Evening placements
- Weekend placements
Volunteer Services offer more than 100 volunteer positions and works to match each volunteer to an appropriate placement.
The regional locations offer convenience, direct appointment scheduling and free parking for patients. Patient services include radiation treatment services, medical oncology and hematology consultation, outpatient chemotherapy, laboratory and pharmacy services. The centers also offer nutrition education, assessment and counseling, as well as social work counseling, including support groups and community resources.
- Bay Area – Located on the campus of CHRISTUS St. John Hospital.
- The Woodlands – Located on the campus of St. Luke’s The Woodlands Hospital.
- Katy – Located on the campus of CHRISTUS St. Catherine Hospital.
- Sugar Land – Located on the campus of St. Luke’s Sugar Land Hospital.
Volunteers assist staff, welcome patients and provide support and encouragement during patients’ visits. Volunteer spaces are limited.
An individual must have no less than six months experience as a volunteer on the main campus of MD Anderson prior to placement in a regional location.