Irradiating Mouse Embryos for p53 Expression
Note: E8.5-E10.5 embryos;137Cs irradiation chamber
- Irradiate mice with 5 Grey.
p53 mRNA: Increased by 100 minutes
Protein expression: Increased by 6 hours
- Place a single mouse in plastic cylinder and lock down with plastic lid so mouse lies flat. Place into irradiation chamber and cover with metal disc.
- To determine timing for 5 Grey, it is helpful to have a chart for the chamber that gives rads/min by month and year.
For example: May 2008 = 151 rad/min. 5 Grey = 500 rads. So for May 2008, 3.31min exposure is needed.
- To set wall timer, follow directions on side of metal casing.
- Crank cover over irradiation chamber. Contact will cause timer to begin counting down.
- When timer is done, open chamber and remove mouse.
Be sure to clean out cylinder when done.