e-Oncology for Physician Assistants
e-Oncology for Physician Assistants provides evidence-based oncology education for PA students and PA professionals. We are a not-for-profit program and our educational offerings would not be possible without the generous support of the Laura and John Arnold Endowment.
Developing Competencies in Cancer Care for Physician Assistant Students
A set of 30 cancer modules developed by PA experts in oncology, this program is designed to supplement oncology education during the didactic phase of PA school. This program is currently being piloted. If you are a faculty member or student and wish to learn more about this program, please contact Lorianne Classen, program manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MD Anderson Cancer Center offers a variety of live conferences and web-based courses. The following course should be of particular interest to Physician Assistants and students.
Medical Management of Issues Facing Cancer Patients
This is a 4 hour, online course for physician assistants in various specialties including oncology, internal medicine, family medicine, internal medicine subspecialties and emergency medicine. The course will prepare PAs to evaluate and manage patients with a history of cancer for frequently encountered medical complications to include pneumonia, cardiomyopathy, neutropenic fever and depression.
Course content includes the following lectures:
- Depression in the Cancer Patient
- Cardiotoxicity: What Lessons Have We Learned So Far?
- Infections in Neutropenic Patients and the New ISDA Guidelines
- Evaluation and Management of Pneumonia in Cancer Patients
The cost of this course is $25. Complementary registration is available for students, MD Anderson staff, faculty and trainees. MD Anderson staff should email email@example.com to be added to the course in Sakai.
This program has been reviewed and is approved for a maximum of 4.00 hours of AAPA Category I CME credit by the Physician Assistant Review Panel. Approval is valid for one year from the issue date of 06/01/12. Participants may submit the self-assessment at any time during that period.
This program was planned in accordance with AAPA's CME Standards for Enduring Materials Programs and for Commercial Support of Enduring Materials Programs.
For non-MD Anderson staff registration, see instructions below:
1. Register your name and email into the MD Anderson Sakai learning management system.
2. Complete this registration form and submit via fax or mail as indicated on the form. Once the form has been received, you will be registered into the course on Sakai within 2 business days.
For questions regarding this course, please contact the PA Education Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional Resources Provided by MD Anderson
- Professional Oncology Education: for additional courses. A course of particular interest to PAs is Introduction to Clinical Oncology.
- I*CARE (Interpersonal Communication and Relationship Enhancement): The I*CARE program provides online education designed to improve communication among cancer patients and their clinical team.
Opportunities exist at MD Anderson for PA staff, mid-level supervisors and mid-level managers.
If you are interested in working for the leader in cancer care with opportunities to advance professional development, check our current employment opportunities.