The Treatment-Induced Neuropathy Assessment Scale (TNAS) is a valid, reliable and brief patient-reported outcome measure of peripheral neuropathy, a common complication of cancer treatment. Measurement of peripheral neuropathy in research and practice is necessary for effective management and prevention of this debilitating condition.
The TNAS is not yet available for licensing. Please contact us if you are interested in using this instrument.
|TNAS Symptom Items||TNAS Interference Items|
|Numbness in arms, legs, hands, or feet
Tingling in arms, legs, hands, or feet
Pain in arms, legs, hands, or feet
Hot or burning sensations in arms, legs, hands, or feet
Feelings of coldness in hands, fingers, feet, or toes
|Difficulty using hands or fingers
Trouble with balance or falling
Disturbed sleep due to neuropathy
- Purpose: To assess the severity and impact of peripheral neuropathy on daily functioning
- Population: Patients with peripheral neuropathy due to cancer and cancer treatment
- Assessment Areas: Severity of neuropathy-related symptoms and the impact of these symptoms on daily functioning in the past 24 hours
- Method: Self-report, interview with research staff, or electronic data entry
- Time required: Five minutes
- Scoring: A global symptom severity score can be obtained by averaging all 5 symptom items
- Reliability: Cronbach alpha reliability ranges from 0.80 to 0.87
Williams LA, Garcia-Gonzalez A, Mendoza TR, et al. Concept domain validation and item generation for the Treatment-Induced Neuropathy Assessment Scale (TNAS). Support Care Cancer, e-pub ahead of print. 2018. doi: 10.1007/s00520-018-4391-y.
Mendoza TR, Wang XS, Williams LA, et al. Measuring therapy-induced peripheral neuropathy: preliminary development and validation of the Treatment-induced Neuropathy Assessment Scale (TNAS). J Pain 16(10): 1032-1043, 10/2015.
Mendoza TR, Williams LA, Shi Q, et al. Measuring treatment-induced peripheral neuropathy in patients with cancer [abstract]. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) 52nd Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, Jun 3-7, 2016. J Clin Oncol 34(Suppl), 5/2016; Abstract #e21674.
Williams L, Mendoza TR, Shi Q, et al. Measuring treatment-induced peripheral neuropathy in patients with cancer: the Treatment-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy Scale (TNAS) [abstract]. Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology (MASCC/ISOO) 2016 Annual Meeting, Adelaide, Australia, Jun 23-25, 2016. Support Care Cancer 24(Suppl 1): S133, 6/2016; Abstract #eP152.