The MD Anderson Symptom Inventory for ovarian cancer (MDASI-OC) is a disease-specific MDASI module. Along with the core MDASI’s 13 symptom items and 6 interference items, the MDASI-OC also assesses 8 symptoms specific to ovarian cancer:
- abdominal pain
- feeling bloated
- problems with paying attention or concentrating
- urinary urgency
- pain or burning with urination
- back pain
- leg cramps or leg muscle pain
Order the MDASI Ovarian Cancer Module
Use our convenient online form to order the MDASI-OC for use in your clinical research, clinical practice, funded and non-funded academic research, commercial research, or reproduction in educational materials or other publications.
Every MDASI Module Contains...
All 13 MDASI core symptoms
pain, fatigue, nausea, disturbed sleep, distress, shortness of breath, difficulty remembering, lack of appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, sadness, vomiting, numbness/tingling
All 6 MDASI interference items
general activity, mood, work, relations with others, walking, enjoyment of life
- Purpose: To assess the severity of multiple symptoms related to ovarian cancer and the impact of these symptoms on daily functioning
- Population: Patients with symptoms caused by ovarian cancer and its treatment
- Assessment areas: Severity of multiple symptoms and the impact of symptoms on daily functioning during the last 24 hours
- Method: Self-report; paper-and-pencil form or tablet PC (self-administered or via interview), or telephone-based interactive voice response (IVR) system
- Time required: Five minutes
- Scoring: Please see the MDASI User's Guide
- Reliability: Cronbach alpha reliability ranges from 0.88 to 0.91
Williams LA, Agarwal S, Bodurka DC, et al. Capturing the patient's experience: using qualitative methods to develop a measure of patient-reported symptom burden: an example from ovarian cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 46(6): 837-845, 2013. PMCID: PMC3775907.
Sailors MH, Bodurka DC, Gning I, et al. Validating the M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory (MDASI) for use in patients with ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 130(2): 323-328, 2013. PMCID: PMC3713195.
Cleeland CS, Mendoza TR, Wang XS, et al. Assessing Symptom Distress in Cancer: The M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory. Cancer 2000; 89:1634-1646.