The MD Anderson Symptom Inventory for malignant pleural mesothelioma (MDASI-MPM) is a disease-specific MDASI module. Along with the core MDASI’s 13 symptom items and 6 interference items, the MDASI-MPM also assesses 6 symptoms specific to malignant pleural mesothelioma:
- Feeling of malaise (not feeling well)
- Trouble with balance or falling
- Chest heaviness/tightness
- Muscle weakness
- Eye problems
Order the MDASI-MPM
- Purpose: To assess the severity of multiple symptoms related to MPM and the impact of these symptoms on daily functioning
- Population: Patients with symptoms caused by MPM and its treatment
- Assessment areas: Severity of multiple symptoms and the impact of symptoms on daily functioning during the last 24 hours
- Method: Self-report; paper-and-pencil form or tablet PC (self-administered or via interview), or telephone-based interactive voice response (IVR) system
- Time required: Five minutes
- Scoring: Please see the MDASI User's Guide
- Reliability: Cronbach alpha reliability ranges from 0.XX to 0.XX
MDASI-MPM Language Versions
Click on a linked language to view a sample in PDF format.
Don't see a language you need? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Psychometrically and Linguistically Validated
MDASI User's Guide
In response to the FDA's 2009 guidance for the pharmaceutical industry on the use of PRO measures in medical product development to support labeling claims, we have prepared a MDASI User's Guide to document the development and psychometric properties of the MDASI and its modules, including the MDASI-MPM. The User Guide addresses the recommendations in the FDA guidance and establishes the MDASI's adequacy as a measure to support medical product claims.
Selected MDASI-MPM References
Williams L, Cleeland C, Bamidele O, Simon G. Generation of symptom burden patient-reported outcomes for patients with lung cancer [abstract]. International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC) 18th World Conference on Lung Cancer, Yokohama, Japan, Oct 15-18, 2017. J Thorac Oncol 12(11 Supplement 2): S2024, 11/2017; Abstract #P1.10-005.
Every MDASI Module Contains...
All 13 MDASI core symptoms
pain, fatigue, nausea, disturbed sleep, distress, shortness of breath, difficulty remembering, lack of appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, sadness, vomiting, numbness/tingling
All 6 MDASI interference items
general activity, mood, work, relations with others, walking, enjoyment of life
Patient report of the experience of MPM frequently includes symptoms and how those symptoms interfere with daily activities. The MDASI-MPM is the only validated measure of the symptom burden specific to MPM.
Loretta A. Williams, Ph.D., RN
Associate Professor, Symptom Research