The MD Anderson Symptom Inventory for gastrointestinal stromal tumors (MDASI-GIST) is a site-specific MDASI module. Along with the core MDASI’s 13 symptom items and 6 interference items, the MDASI-GIST also assesses 9 symptoms specific to gastrointestinal stromal tumors:
- swelling of hands, legs, feet, or around eyes
- skin problems
- malaise or not feeling well
- general weakness
- abdominal discomfort
- abdominal swelling or fullness
- muscle soreness or cramping
- bruising easily or bleeding
Order the MDASI Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Module
Use our convenient online form to order the MDASI-GIST for use in your clinical research, clinical practice, funded and non-funded academic research, commercial research, or reproduction in educational materials or other publications.
Every MDASI Module Contains...
All 13 MDASI core symptoms
pain, fatigue, nausea, disturbed sleep, distress, shortness of breath, difficulty remembering, lack of appetite, drowsiness, dry mouth, sadness, vomiting, numbness/tingling
All 6 MDASI interference items
general activity, mood, work, relations with others, walking, enjoyment of life
- Purpose: To assess the severity of multiple symptoms related to GIST and the impact of these symptoms on daily functioning
- Population: Patients with symptoms caused by GIST and its treatment
- Assessment areas: Severity of multiple symptoms and the impact of symptoms on daily functioning during the last 24 hours
- Method: Self-report; paper-and-pencil form or tablet PC (self-administered or via interview), or telephone-based interactive voice response (IVR) system
- Time required: Five minutes
- Scoring: Please see the MDASI User's Guide
- Reliability: Cronbach alpha reliability ranges from 0.88 to 0.91
Williams LA, Araujo DM, Sailors MH, et al. Longitudinal symptom burden of patients with gastrointestinal stromal tumors [abstract]. Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer/International Society of Oral Oncology (MASCC/ISOO) 2012 International Symposium on Supportive Care in Cancer, New York NY, Jun 28-30, 2012. Supportive Care in Cancer 20(Suppl 1): S266, 2012; Abstract # 1113.
Williams LA, Araujo DM, Mendoza TR, et al. A new symptom measure in gastrointestinal stromal tumors [abstract]. American Society of Clinical Oncology 49th Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, May 31 - Jun 4, 2013. J Clin Oncol 31(15 Suppl), 2013; Abstract # e17508.
Williams LA, Araujo DM, Shi Q, et al. Symptoms in gastrointestinal stromal tumors [abstract]. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) 50th Annual Meeting, Chicago IL, May 30 - Jun 3, 2014. J Clin Oncol 32(15 Suppl), 2014; Abstract # 9637.
Williams LA, Shi Q, Mendoza TR, et al. Patient retention and response in longitudinal patient-reported outcomes studies using a telephone interactive voice response system [abstract]. International Society for Quality of Life Research (ISOQOL) 21st Annual Conference, Berlin, Germany, Oct 15-18, 2014. Qual Life Res 23(1 Supplement): 179-181, 2014; Abstract # 3084.