Inflammatory Breast Cancer (IBC) Registry
The goal of this research study is to collect blood and tissue samples and clinical data from patients with inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) or highly suspicious for IBC. The blood and tissue samples and clinical data will be stored in a research tissue bank and used to help researchers try to better understand IBC.
Disease Group: Breast
Treatment Agent: None
Treatment Location: Both at MDACC & outside MDACC at one or more Collaborating Sites or Institutions
Estimatated Length of Stay in Houston: N/A
Sponsor: Partially supported by Susan G Komen Promise Grant
Return Visit: N/A
Home Care: N/A
1. To prospectively collect tissue (including primary IBC, ipsilateral nodal metastasis and/or distant metastasis [if applicable] obtained prior to primary systemic therapy and mastectomy/axillary dissection), serum, plasma, whole blood, clinical, and imaging data from patients with recently diagnosed inflammatory breast cancer (IBC), or highly suspicious for IBC, who have not received systemic therapy. 2. To collect paraffin tissue blocks or unstained slides (including primary, ipsilateral nodal metastasis and/or distant metastasis [if applicable] obtained prior to primary systemic therapy), mastectomy/axillary dissection tissue, serum, plasma, whole blood, clinical, and imaging data (if available) from patients with previously diagnosed inflammatory breast cancer (IBC), who have been treated or partially treated, but have not had mastectomy and are seeking further treatment in the IBC clinic at M. D. Anderson. 3. To collect oral swab, skin and stool bacterial culture swab for microbiome analysis to compare patients with specific breast cancer subtype to report changes in flora during the course of treatment and correlated to toxicity.
IRB Review and Approval Date: 04/17/2007
Recruitment Status: Open
Projected Accrual: 1200
1) Patients with new clinical diagnosis of primary inflammatory breast
cancer (IBC), second primary IBC, or highly suspicious for IBC.
2) Histological diagnosis of invasive breast cancer, or highly suspicious for IBC but pending breast cancer diagnosis.
3) Be either newly diagnosed, or highly suspicious for IBC (MD Anderson patients only) [Cohort I] or have paraffin blocks or up to 20 unstained slides of each representative block(s) from the time of initial diagnosis of IBC(i.e. core biopsy and punch biopsy) and/or from mastectomy (Cohort II-MD Anderson patients only)
4) Age > 18 years
5) Able to provide informed consent
Information and next steps
Breast Medical Oncology
For general questions about clinical trials: