The foundation of the Cancer Prevention Research Training Program is cancer prevention research and the cultivation of the mentoring relationship between students and professors. Our alumni play an essential role in the research and education missions of MD Anderson Cancer Center.
We are very proud of our 25+ year history of this short-term, NCI-funded research experience which has evolved from a 3 to 6-month program of trainees appointed monthly; to a structured 10-week program, now known as the CPRTP Summer Research Experience, as part of the MD Anderson Summer Experience.
Many of our short-term alumni go on to build careers as prominent leaders in the areas such as academia, cancer prevention, cancer research, administration, consulting, patient care, health communications, and global health, at institutions all over the United States.
Dr. Pande was awarded 3 CPRTP fellowships:
- NCI Short-Term Fellowship Award, 2003
- NCI Predoctoral Fellowship (2004-2007)
- NCI Postdoctoral Fellowship (2008-2009)
2003 NCI Summer Research Project: Smoking & the Risk of Colorectal Cancer in MMR Gene Mutation Carriers
(Mentor: Dr. Marsha Frazier, Epidemiology)
The Cancer Prevention Research Training Program fellowships were invaluable for my career because they provided excellent mentorship and career development training. There's a certain pride in being a trainee because you know that you belong to a special program that is really invested in your success.
Mala Pande, MPH, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Gastroenterology Hepatology & Nutrition
CPRTP Short-Term & Summer Alumni
- Miranda Lee Baum, M.A., Senior Coordinator, Clinical Research Programs, Behavioral Science
- Karla Crawford, M.P.H., Research Dietician, Pediatrics Research
- Kristina Dahlstrom, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Head & Neck Surgery
- Bena E. Ellickaputhenpura, M.S., Physician Assistant, Infectious Diseases
- Kpola Elhor-Gbito, M.D., M.P.H., Assistant Epidemiologist II, Epidemiology
- Siedah Garrison, M.P.H., Senior Research Coordinator, Behavioral Science
- Maosheng Huang, Ph.D., Senior Statistical Analyst, Epidemiology
- Lynn Keerikattu, PharmD, Pharmacist, Dept. of Pharmacy
- Kathrin Milbury, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Behavioral Science
- Mala Pande, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Gastroenterology Research
- Altrivice Revis, M.B.A., Project Director, Office of the Division of Pediatrics Administration
- Stacie Scruggs, M.P.H., Director, Division Research Development, Office of the Vice President of Cancer Prevention
- Hui Zhao, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Health Services Research
- Austin Brown, Ph.D., Instructor, Dept. of Pediatrics, Hematology-Oncology, Baylor College of Medicine
- Samira Kamrudin, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Co-Director MPH Program, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- David Lopez, DrPH, Assistant Professor, Epidemiology, Human Genetics & Environmental Sciences, University of Texas School of Public Health
- Charles Minard, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Biostatistician, Baylor College of Medicine
- Melissa Fleschler Peskin, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences, Univeristy of Texas School of Public Health
- Maria Chang Swartz, Ph.D., MPH, RD, LD, Assistant Professor, Department of Nutrition and Metabolism, University of Texas Medical Branch
- Eric Chi, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Dept. of Statistics, North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC)
- Adolfo Cuevas, Ph.D., Tenure-Track Professor, Community Health, Tufts University (Medford, MA)
- Jessica Clague DeHart, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Division of Etiology, City of Hope (Duarte, CA)
- Aditi Hazra, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health (Boston, MA)
- Julie. A. Lord, M.D., Psychiatrist, Positive Psychiatry Private Practice (Seattle, WA)
- Rosenie Thelus Jean, Ph.D., Science Director, Pharmacovigilance Center, Office of the Surgeon General, Department of the United States Army (Washington, DC)
- Nynikka Palmer, DrPH, MPH, Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, (Division of General Internal Medicine at SFGH), Urology and Radiation Oncology, University of California San Francisco (San Francisco, CA)
- Siddhartha Roy, DrPH, MPH, Assistant Professor, The Pennsylvania State University, Hershey College of Medicine (State College, PA)
- Sarah Rush, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, Health Sciences, James Madison University (Harrisonburg, VA)
Note: As of 2018, the NCI provides funding solely for the CPRTP Summer Research Experience. Our NCI predoctoral fellowship in cancer prevention concluded in 2018. Any future predoctoral fellowship opportunities will be communicated on this website.
Summer Program Rosters
Are you a CPRTP Alumni?
We would love to hear from you.
E-mail your latest CV and an update to our office.
Alumni accomplishments are reported annually to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and beyond.