Department of Biostatistics
Kim-Anh Do, Ph.D., Chair
The Department of Biostatistics at MD Anderson:
- Enhances the scientific excellence of MD Anderson research through outstanding statistical designs and methods, including the proper and efficient use of standard and cutting-edge methods, as well as the development of novel innovative methods
- Provides biostatistical collaboration, consultation and quantitative research resources to clinical, diagnostic, laboratory, population, and prevention scientists engaged in the planning, conduct, analysis, quality assurance, and interpretation of research studies
- Trains and mentors the next generation of biostatisticians through an innovative and relevant curriculum and through exposure to unique data sets, the latest research methodology and findings, and state-of-the-art computing technology
- To provide biostatistical leadership in the institution and the larger cancer research community regarding the proper and innovative design and analysis of clinical, diagnostic, laboratory, population, and prevention studies
- To develop innovative clinical trial designs that most efficiently utilize the available information from a trial, protect patients within the trial from excessive toxicity or ineffective treatments, and provide patients with the best possible treatment within a particular trial. These include Bayesian monitoring strategies, improved dose-finding strategies, adaptive randomization, and improved screening designs.
- To develop innovative methods for analyzing data resulting from collaborative cancer research studies, including standard outcomes such as survival, response, symptoms, and quality of life measures, as well as complex data from emerging technologies, including high-dimensional genomics data and imaging data. Methods for data mining, adaptive learning, and integrating information across multiple platforms in the context of personalized medicine are currently being developed.
- To ensure that MD Anderson studies are properly designed to reach their intended goals, that they are sufficiently powered, and that the design and analyses appropriately control and adjust for confounding factors
- To provide biostatistical collaborative support for clinical trials, including diagnostic, therapeutic, translational, and prevention studies. This support includes the design, interim monitoring, final analysis, report, and proper interpretation of study results in collaboration with the principal investigator and co-investigators.
- To provide outstanding statistical analyses for MD Anderson research studies, including the proper use of standard and cutting-edge methods in an efficient fashion to maximize power for discoveries while appropriately controlling type I errors and false discoveries
- To develop and participate in inter-institutional graduate academic programs in biostatistics
- To provide educational programs in biostatistical literacy and principles for non-quantitative research scientists and clinicians
News and Events
Yu Shen Appointed to Endowed Position
Professor Yu Shen has been awarded the Conversation with a Living Legend Professorship at MD Anderson.
Sanjay Shete Appointed to Endowed Position
Professor Sanjay Shete has been awarded the Barnhart Distinguished Professorship in Targeted Therapies at MD Anderson.
Peter Thall Named SCT Fellow
Dr. Peter Thall, the Anise J. Sorrell Professor at MD Anderson, was recently named a Fellow of the Society for Clinical Trials. He was inducted at the 2014 annual meeting in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Veerabhadran Baladandayuthapani Named Faculty Scholar
Associate Professor Veera Baladandayuthapani was recently named as an MD Anderson Faculty Scholar for the period of September 1, 2014 through August 31, 2017. This award recognizes junior faculty who exhibit excellence in research, cancer prevention, or patient care. Dr. Baladandayuthapani is developing innovative statistical methods for modeling and analyzing structurally complex, high-dimensional data.
Kim-Anh Do Elected as AAAS Fellow
Professor and Chair Kim-Anh Do was elected as a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science and was honored at the annual meeting of the association in Chicago in February 2014, where she was honored for her distinguished contributions to computational statistics and integrated statistical methodology to analyze complex genetic, protein and metabolic data, with applications to translational cancer research and personalized medicine. The AAAS is the world's largest general science society.
J. Jack Lee Named Associate Vice Provost for Quantitative Research
Professor J. Jack Lee was appointed Associate Vice Provost for Quantitative Research. In this role, he works with the provost office and the vice president for clinical administration to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of clinical research at MD Anderson, providing leadership and support for all faculty and staff engaged in clinical trials. He also functions as an advocate of biostatistics/bioinformatics and of integrating the research and services of quantitative sciences throughout MD Anderson.
Ziding Feng Appointed to Endowed Position
Professor Ziding Feng has been awarded the Kathryn O'Connor Research Professorship at MD Anderson.
Seven Biostatistics Faculty are ASA Fellows
Seven of the department's faculty members have attained the prestigious honor of being named a Fellow in the American Statistical Association: Donald A. Berry (1986), Ziding Feng (1997), Kim-Anh Do (2006), Yu Shen (2007), J. Jack Lee (2008), Jeffrey S. Morris (2011), and Sanjay Shete (2012).