Mouse lines that carry chronic disease, have been housed in conventional facilities, or are in questionable health can be rederived under specific pathogen-free conditions by the GEMF. This procedure can restore optimal health conditions for the valuable mouse lines.
Fertilized eggs will be obtained from oviducts of the line of interest and transferred into oviducts of foster females.
If the mouse line for rederivation is homozygous, the investigator is requested to provide four males that are between eight weeks and six months of age, and four females that are either at:
- 21-25 days of age if C57BL/6, 129 or C57BL/6/129 hybrids
- Eight to 10 weeks of age (all other strains)
If animals can be rederived as heterozygotes, then the investigator is requested to provide four males that are between eight weeks and six months of age, and the facility will supply superovulated females of the correct strain and age.
All pups resulting from the transfer will be transferred to the investigator.
Due to extreme variability that we have seen in animals provided for this procedure, the GEMF cannot guarantee success. However, we will work with the investigator and the animals to the best of our abilities to accomplish the goal of clean, rederived pups.
$1,208/line/session for MD Anderson investigators; $1,885/line/session for MD Anderson-affiliated investigators; $3,055/line/session for other outside investigators
Time Line for Rederivation
Transfer fertilized eggs into foster mothers
Investigator notified about births and male/female numbers. Investigator is responsible for turning in an animal order form for these mice to Veterinary Medicine at this time
Pups transferred to investigator (upon receipt of animal order form signed by Veterinary Medicine)
This timeline will be extended if the GEMF has to mate incoming animals to produce the appropriate age of females for the procedure.
To Obtain Service from the GEMF
- Schedule an appointment with Jan Parker-Thornburg (713-745-2654 or e-mail email@example.com) to review the type of animals to be rederived and the number of animals needed, to set an experiment date and for briefing on how to collect oviducts or arrange for their collection
- Log in to https://mdanderson.ilabsolutions.com, register for an account, then go to the site to request service
- Obtain and complete an authorization form with Veterinary Medicine for animal orders
- All pups resulting from the transfer along with the foster mother will be transferred to the colony of the investigator
- Read the Policies and Procedures section for important information regarding services rendered by the GEMF.