Active Living after Cancer (ALAC), is a Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT) funded program. The program aims to improve the quality of life of cancer survivors in Houston and El Paso by promoting physical activity, and by providing navigation services for survivorship issues. A large and growing number of cancer survivors in Texas, especially those who are medically underserved, necessitates effective programs to help survivors improve their health and physical functioning, thereby reducing the risk of cancer recurrence or new cancers.
The program consists of 12 weekly sessions, followed by a reunion at the conclusion of the program. Each session is comprised of cognitive and behavioral skills training related to increasing physical activity, a guided discussion on a survivorship topic, and short bouts of moderate physical activity. The program is free of charge, and each participant will be provided a pedometer and a resistance band, that they may keep, to help them reach their physical activity goals.
To be eligible to participate in the program, the participants must:
- Have a previous diagnosis of cancer at the time of enrollment.
- Not be receiving chemotherapy or radiation at the time of enrollment.
To find a location near you, or to register for a class, please call:
- Houston Locations (English): 713-442-1219 or 713-442-1216
- Houston Locations (Spanish): 713-442-1231 or 713-665-3103
- El Paso Locations (Spanish): 915-771-6305
For more information about the program or to be a host site, please contact Lizette Rangel at ALACprogram@mdanderson.org.
- Kelsey Research Foundation
- Cancer and Chronic Disease Consortium
- Project CHURCH
ALAC will be initiating new groups in Houston:
- Kelsey-Seybold Katy: 22121 FM 1093 Richmond, Texas 77407
- Kelsey-Seybold Sugarland: 11555 University Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77478
- Omnia HealthCare Decorative Center of Houston: 5120 Woodway Dr. #7012 Houston, TX 77056
- Kelsey-Seybold Pasadena: 5001 E. Sam Houston Parkway S. Pasadena, Texas 77505
- YMCA Houston Texans: 5202 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021
- Kelsey-Seybold Pearland: 2515 Business Center Drive Pearland, Texas 77584
- Kelsey-Seybold Spring: 15655 Cypress Woods Medical Drive
- Kelsey-Seybold Woodlands: 106 Vision Park Blvd, Shenandoah, TX 77384
- The Tabernacle of Praise: 8814 Tidwell Rd, Houston, TX 77078
- Fallbrook Church: 12512 Walters Rd, Houston, TX 77014
- Kelsey-Seybold Cypress: 13114 FM 1960 West #200, Houston, TX 77065
- Kelsey-Seybold The Vintage: 10701 Vintage Preserve Pkwy, Houston, TX 77070
- Baker-Ripley Neighborhood Center: 6500 Rookin, Houston, TX 77074
- Kelsey-Seybold Main Campus: 2727 W. Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77025
- Galena Park Resource and Training Center: 1721 16th St, Galena Park, TX 77547
ALAC will be initiating new groups in El Paso:
- Cancer and Chronic Disease Consortium: 6070 Gateway East, Suite 310, El Paso, TX 79905
- Del Sol Regional Oncology Center: 10460 Vista Del Sol Dr Suite 100, El Paso, TX 79925
Active Living after Cancer
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Center for Energy Balance in Cancer Prevention and Survivorship
Lizette Rangel, Program Coordinator
MD Anderson Cancer Prevention Center
1155 Pressler Street
Houston, TX 77030