The Brain Tumor Research Program at MD Anderson Cancer Center offers robust training in brain tumor research through its two-year Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars. This program opens its doors to national and international scientists alike, spanning various levels of education, from summer students (high school and college), to graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
Besides the innovative and translational research opportunities that MD Anderson provides its research trainees, the Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars educational course offers weekly one-hour training lectures based on two components:
- Top lectures in brain tumors from experts in fundamentals and trending topics in brain tumors, such as clinical aspects, neurodevelopment and neuropsychology. These lectures are informative and encourage our trainees to continue moving towards our common goal.
- Presentations from the trainees' current projects or published data. Allowing trainees to present in front of their peers and mentors assists with the development of professional communication skills and establishment of networking. Trainees receive constructive criticism pre-presentation as well as during their seminar. This platform has been used, for example, as an opportunity to rehearse Ph.D. thesis defenses by trainees.
The Training in Brain Tumor Research Seminars have an average audience of 50 people from different areas of research, such as Neuro-Oncology, Neurosurgery, Neuropsychology, Pathology, Radiation Oncology, Pediatrics and Melanoma.
Caroline Ross Endowed Fellowship
The Caroline Ross Endowed Fellowship award supports and develops the next generation of brain tumor researchers. The 2022 Caroline Ross Endowed Fellowship recipients are:
• Sunada Khadka - Postdoctoral Fellow, Cancer Biology
• Sharvari Dharmaiah - Graduate Research Assistant- GSBS, Translational Molecular Pathology
• Pravesh Gupta, PhD - Odyssey Fellow, Translational Molecular Pathology
• Dong Ho Shin - Graduate Research Assistant- GSBS, Neuro-Oncology, Research
• Benjamin Whitfield, MD, PhD - Student-GSBS, Translational Molecular Pathology
• Julianna Bronk, MD, PhD - Resident, Radiation Oncology
• Prit Benny Malgulwar, PhD - Postdoctoral Fellow, Translational Molecular Pathology
• Yang Liu, MS – Graduate Research Assistant, Translational Molecular Pathology