The MD Anderson Cancer Center Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Symposium is a free community outreach and education event, which is open to the general public. Attendees will:
- Learn about breast reconstruction options following mastectomy or lumpectomy
- Get answers to reconstruction questions
- Connect with breast cancer survivors
Saturday, October 28, 2017
Dan L. Duncan Building (CPB), Floor 8, Elevator Q
1155 Pressler Street, Houston, Texas 77030-3721
Please consider a donation to breast reconstruction awareness. Your gift will help provide reconstruction education to the breast cancer community.
What to Expect:
- Plastic surgeons will present concepts in breast reconstruction. Topics include:
- Options in breast reconstruction surgery
- The role of the plastic surgeon in your cancer care
- When breast reconstruction is right for you if you are receiving other cancer therapies
- Tables will be hosted by plastic surgery specialists to showcase your surgical options in breast reconstruction following a mastectomy. Options include, but are not limited to the following:
- Breast implants
- Tissue expanders
- DIEP/TRAM flaps
- PAP, SGAP, LD and other autologous tissue options
- Oncoplastic reconstruction, mastepexy, breast revisions
- Nipple reconstruction, nipple-areolar micropigmentation
- Medical companies involved in breast reconstruction will be available to discuss their breast reconstruction products.
MD Anderson Patient Access
- Representatives will help you learn how to become a patient at MD Anderson, if desired.
Breast Cancer Survivor Fashion Runway
- 25 breast cancer survivors will walk the fashion runway in celebration of completing their breast cancer journey
- Runway hosted by Khambrel Marshall, KPRC2 Meteorologist & Host of Houston Newsmakers
- Photo booth, door prizes, and gift bags.
Things to Know:
- Light refreshments will be provided. For additional dining options, see Houston Area Information.
Free parking in the Pressler Garage. See Parking Information section below.
- Limited translation assistance will be available in Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin.
- Due to the sensitive nature of the topics discussed at the symposium, the event may not be suitable for children.
- No pets allowed, with the exception of service animals.
- Education tables
- Open mingle
- Welcome and opening remarks: Dr. Charles E. Butler
- Educational presentations
1. Breast Reconstruction Awareness: Rene York, PA-C
2. Breast Reconstruction, Timing, and Options: Dr. Margaret Roubaud
3. Local and Oncoplastic Breast Reconstruction: Dr. Mark Schaverien
4. Tissue Expander-Implant Reconstruction: Dr. Summer Hanson
5. Free Tissue Transfer Reconstruction: Dr. Rene Largo
- Education tables
- Open mingle
- Breast Cancer Survivor Fashion Runway hosted by Khambrel Marshall, KPRC2 Meteorologist & Host of Houston Newsmakers
- Closing remarks
Please click here for a list of area hotels.
Prices are subject to change and vary depending on the location of the conference.
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $50-60 to or from each airport.
- SuperShuttle operates a shuttle bus between George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center for $27 one-way and $54 round-trip. The shuttle between William P. Hobby Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center is $24 for one-way and the roundtrip cost is $48. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll-free at 800-258-3826.
FREE self-parking at the Pressler Garage at 1180 Pressler Street, Houston, TX 77030. The garage is located between Fannin Street and Bertner Avenue. Gates will be open throughout the event. No parking validation necessary. This is the only garage approved for BRA Symposium parking.
Click here for a map.
Directions for walking from the Pressler Garage to the BRA Symposium (Duncan Building)
- From the garage entrance/exit onto Pressler Street
a. 1 minute walk, ~131 feet
b. The Duncan Family Institute is directly across the street (Pressler), on your left.
- From the garage entrance/exit onto Bertner Avenue
a. 3 minute walk, ~0.1 miles
b. Head north (left) on Bertner Avenue, towards Pressler Street (300 ft).
c. Turn left onto Pressler Street (350 ft).
d. The Duncan Family Institute will be on your right.
Email the Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Committee at BReconAware@mdanderson.org for ADA accommodations or questions.
Breast Reconstruction Awareness Committee
c/o Rene York
Pickens Academic Tower, Unit #1488
1400 Pressler StreetHouston, TX 77030
BRA Committee Officers:
- Committee Chair: Rene York, PA-C
- Faculty Liaison: Margaret Roubaud, M.D.
- Secretary: Emily Gruetzmacher, PA-C
- Treasurer: Christen Baen, PA-C
- Food & Décor Liaison: Jillian Wollet, PA-C
- Exhibitors, Speakers, Volunteer Liaison: Lauren Gamble, PA-C
- Runway Liaison: Jennifer Goode, PA-C
- Website & Social Media Liaison: Summer Hanson, M.D.
- Dran Alessi, PA-C
- Kiara Castaneda, PSC
- Sarah Hernandez, PA-C
- Caitlin Lange, PA-C
- Lindsay Mericli, MBA
- Alisha Praznik, PA-C
- Brooke Schweitzer, PA-C