Highlights from 2017 BRA Symposium
The MD Anderson Cancer Center Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Symposium is a free community outreach and education event, which is open to the general public. Attendees will:
- Learn about breast reconstruction options following mastectomy or lumpectomy
- Get answers to reconstruction questions
- Connect with breast cancer survivors
Breast Reconstruction Awareness Symposium
Saturday, October 20, 2018
Dan L. Duncan Building (CPB), Floor 8, Elevator Q
1155 Pressler Street, Houston, Texas 77030-3721
Breast Reconstruction Awareness - Information Table
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
The Park - MD Anderson Main Hospital, 2nd Floor
1515 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, Texas 77030
Please register in advance using the link on the right.
Por favor regístrese por adelantado. Las primeras 200 sobrevivientes de cáncer de mama que participen recibirán una bolsa regalo.
Please consider a donation to breast reconstruction awareness. Your gift will help provide reconstruction education to the breast cancer community.
Photos from 2017 Breast Reconstruction Awareness Symposium
What to Expect:
- Plastic surgeons will present concepts in breast reconstruction. Topics include:
- Options in breast reconstruction surgery
- The role of the plastic surgeon in your cancer care
- When breast reconstruction is right for you if you are receiving other cancer therapies
- Tables will be hosted by plastic surgery specialists to showcase your surgical options in breast reconstruction following a mastectomy. Options include, but are not limited to the following:
- Breast implants
- Tissue expanders
- DIEP/TRAM flaps
- PAP, SGAP, LD and other autologous tissue options
- Oncoplastic reconstruction, mastepexy, breast revisions
- Nipple reconstruction, nipple-areolar micropigmentation
- Medical companies involved in breast reconstruction will be available to discuss their breast reconstruction products.
MD Anderson Patient Access
- Representatives will help you learn how to become a patient at MD Anderson, if desired.
Breast Cancer Survivor Fashion Runway
- 25 breast cancer survivors will walk the fashion runway in celebration of completing their breast cancer journey
- Runway hosted by Khambrel Marshall, KPRC2 Meteorologist & Host of Houston Newsmakers
- Photo booth, door prizes, and gift bags.
Things to Know:
- Light refreshments will be provided. For additional dining options, see Houston Area Information.
Free parking in the Pressler Garage. See Parking Information section below.
- Limited translation assistance will be available in Spanish.
- Due to the sensitive nature of the topics discussed at the symposium, the event may not be suitable for children.
- No pets allowed, with the exception of service animals.
12:00 – 12:30 On-site registration, Open Mingle
2:00 – 2:30 Education Tables, Open Mingle
2:30 – 3:00 Breast Cancer Survivor Fashion Runway (hosted by Khambrel Marshall, KPRC2 Meteorologist & Host of Houston Newsmakers)
Please click here for a list of area hotels.
Prices are subject to change and vary depending on the location of the conference.
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $50-60 to or from each airport.
- SuperShuttle operates a shuttle bus between George Bush Intercontinental Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center for $27 one-way and $54 round-trip. The shuttle between William P. Hobby Airport and the Houston Marriott Medical Center is $24 for one-way and the roundtrip cost is $48. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll-free at 800-258-3826.
FREE self-parking at the Pressler Garage at 1180 Pressler Street, Houston, TX 77030. The garage is located between Fannin Street and Bertner Avenue. Gates will be open throughout the event. No parking validation necessary. This is the only garage approved for BRA Symposium parking.
Click here for a map.
Directions for walking from the Pressler Garage to the BRA Symposium (Duncan Building)
- From the garage entrance/exit onto Pressler Street
a. 1 minute walk, ~131 feet
b. The Duncan Family Institute is directly across the street (Pressler), on your left.
- From the garage entrance/exit onto Bertner Avenue
a. 3 minute walk, ~0.1 miles
b. Head north (left) on Bertner Avenue, towards Pressler Street (300 ft).
c. Turn left onto Pressler Street (350 ft).
d. The Duncan Family Institute will be on your right.
Email the Breast Reconstruction Awareness (BRA) Committee at BReconAware@mdanderson.org for ADA accommodations or questions.
BRA Committee Officers:Breast Reconstruction Awareness Committee
c/o Rene York
Pickens Academic Tower, Unit #1488
1400 Pressler StreetHouston, TX 77030
BRA Committee Officers:
Members-at-Large: Kiara Castaneda, PSC