Families Aiming Toward Health (FAITH)
FAITH, A Healthy Lifestyle Program for You and Your Family!
Families Aiming Toward Health (FAITH) is a church-based program aiming to reduce obesity and encourage a healthier lifestyle among African American adults and their families. Programs take place at your church for 18 months.
How to Participate
- Self-identify as black or African American
- Have a BMI greater than or equal to 30
- Have at least one child age 10-16 years old living in your household that could participate with you
- Have access to the internet
Appointment and Study Information
- Monthly health education information
- Monthly phone calls with a health coach
- One-on-one virtual meetings with a trained member of your church to serve as your Health Buddy
- Monthly virtual support groups with your church peers and Health Buddy
- Four contactless drive through health assessments at your church
- Compensation for completing the health assessments for you and your child
My Story My Journey
Would you like to use your experience to help other cancer patients and survivors?
There is a scarcity of studies about Asian cancer survivors, who face physical and psychological challenges that are unique to this population. My Story, My Journey is designed to help us learn more about the experiences and physical and psychological health of Asian cancer survivors, so we can develop programs that may help cancer survivors and provide better and more effective service to the community.
How to Participate:
If you are…
- Asian (≥18 years old)
- Diagnosed with stage 0-III cancer
- Completed primary cancer treatment within 5 years
- Complete several questionnaires in one year
- Write down your cancer experience
- Provide saliva samples
- Be compensated for completing the study
Women on the Move
Women on the Move is a research study to test if certain programs help women become more physically active. All participants will receive a Fitbit and health tips. The study consists of 3 different programs. Participants will be assigned to one of these programs:
- Individual Health Education: Fitbit and health education newsletters
- Individual Coaching: Fitbit and health education newsletters; 12 video sessions with a health coach
- Partner Coaching: Fitbit and health education newsletters; 12 video sessions with a health coach and study partner
To see if these programs help women become more active, we have 3 study visits at a local community center, health bulletins and health coaching depending on assigned group.
Study visits to evaluate the program
We collect information from study participants before and after the physical activity programs to learn if the programs help women be more physically active. These visits are located at a community site (church or community center) and include:
- Initial visit
- 6-month visit
- 12-month visit
- Participants will answer questions to determine if they qualify for the study.
Staff members will give a brief virtual presentation for interested participants to go into more detail about the study.
Initial Study Visit
- Participants will complete an informed consent, questionnaires, and staff members will take participants’ measurements (for example: weight, height, etc.)
- 1.5 to 2 hours
Participants and their study partner will be randomly assigned to one of the three groups (like a flip of a coin).
6-month Study Visit
- Just like the initial visit, participants will complete questionnaires, and staff members will take participants’ measurements (for example: weight, height, etc.)
- 1 hour
12-month Study Visit
- Just like the initial study visit, participants will complete questionnaires, and staff members will take participants’ measurements (for example: weight, height, etc.)
Who can participate?
- Women ages 18-65 years
- Able to read and speak in English or Spanish
- Participate with one eligible adult female partner who does not live in your household
- Live in the greater Houston area
- Health screening
- Help you become more active
- All at no cost to you!
All enrolled participants will receive a Fitbit and gift cards for completing all study procedures.
Contact 713-746-1060 or email us at email@example.com