- Departments, Labs and Institutes
- Departments and Divisions
Join us! Click here to view open faculty positions with the Biostatistics department.
The Biostatistics department at MD Anderson:
- Enhances the scientific excellence of MD Anderson research through outstanding statistical designs and methods, including the proper and efficient use of standard and cutting-edge methods, as well as the development of novel innovative methods
- Provides biostatistical collaboration, consultation and quantitative research resources to clinical, diagnostic, laboratory, population, and prevention scientists, and engages in the planning, conduct, analysis, quality assurance, and interpretation of research studies
- Trains and mentors the next generation of biostatisticians through an innovative and relevant curriculum and through exposure to unique data sets, the latest research methodology and findings, and state-of-the-art computing technology
- To provide biostatistical leadership in the institution and the larger cancer research community regarding the proper and innovative design and analysis of clinical, diagnostic, laboratory, population, and prevention studies
- To develop innovative clinical trial designs that most efficiently utilize the available information from a trial, protect patients within the trial from excessive toxicity or ineffective treatments, and provide patients with the best possible treatment within a particular trial. These include Bayesian monitoring strategies, improved dose-finding strategies, adaptive randomization, and improved screening designs.
- To develop innovative methods for analyzing data resulting from collaborative cancer research studies, including standard outcomes such as survival, response, symptoms, and quality of life measures, as well as complex data from emerging technologies, including high-dimensional genomics data and imaging data. Methods for data mining, adaptive learning, and integrating information across multiple platforms in the context of personalized medicine are currently being developed.
- To ensure that MD Anderson studies are properly designed to reach their intended goals, that they are sufficiently powered, and that the design and analyses appropriately control and adjust for confounding factors
- To provide biostatistical collaborative support for clinical trials, including diagnostic, therapeutic, translational, and prevention studies. This support includes the design, interim monitoring, final analysis, report, and proper interpretation of study results in collaboration with the principal investigator and co-investigators.
- To provide outstanding statistical analyses for MD Anderson research studies, including the proper use of standard and cutting-edge methods in an efficient fashion to maximize power for discoveries while appropriately controlling type I errors and false discoveries
- To develop and participate in inter-institutional graduate academic programs in biostatistics
- To provide educational programs in biostatistical literacy and principles for non-quantitative research scientists and clinicians
- Quantitative Sciences at the MD Anderson UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- Interinstitutional Graduate Program in Biostatistics for Cancer Research, a joint doctoral training program with Rice University