Breast Cancer Survivorship Clinic
Your team feels it is safe for you to move to the next phase of your life and next phase of your care. You may find life returns to what you knew before you had cancer. Or, you may find that physical, psychosocial or financial concerns continue because of cancer treatments. Patients often call this the "new normal."
MD Anderson’s Breast Cancer Survivorship Clinic can help develop a plan for your ongoing health care. You will receive care based on specific guidelines designed for survivors just like you who have been treated at MD Anderson. Our team works closely with specialized health care providers to monitor and manage late effects related to breast cancer and its therapies.
The clinic addresses your physical and psychosocial care. They:
- Review your recent medical history and perform a physical examination
- Conduct a complete assessment to detect cancer recurrence or progression
- Identify and help manage side effects of cancer and treatment
- Develop a treatment summary and follow-up care plan detailed in your Survivorship "Passport Plan for Health"
- Provide education and referrals related to:
- Cancer screening examinations
- Health behaviors that reduce cancer risk
- Survivorship resources at MD Anderson or in the community
- Programs available to help with body image concerns as well as coping with your cancer diagnosis
Side Effects & Symptoms
The survivorship clinic specializes in identifying and treating late side effects, which are symptoms that may appear months or years after treatment has ended. The physical changes will depend on your cancer type and treatment.
Side effects and symptoms you may experience include:
- Osteoporosis (low bone mass that results in weak bones that break easily)
- Lymphedema (swelling of the arm)
- Menopausal symptoms
- Changes in fertility and sexuality
Remember, it is important to communicate with your health care team through every stage of your cancer experience. Some survivors need more information and use more support services than others use, depending upon their diagnosis and treatment. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your health care team.
Contact your MD Anderson physician for referral to the Breast Cancer Survivorship Clinic.
Location: Cancer Prevention Building, Floor 2, near The Star Get Directions
Join the Discussion
Take advantage of our online services, including myMDAnderson, the personalized site that helps you manage your cancer treatment:
- Appointment schedules
- Secure messaging with your care team
- Patient education, billing, and more