Patient Home Visit Course
Through the Patient Home Visits (formerly Texas Bus Rounds), medical providers visit homes, hospices and other care sites around Houston to learn about the challenges patients and their families face toward the end of life. Through this patient-centered approach, the Patient Home Visits help providers identify these challenges and discuss methods of care that can help each patient can live as well as possible, for as long as possible.
This highly interactive and experiential education course is designed for physicians, nurses, residents, fellows, social workers and other health care providers who have an interest in palliative and supportive care. Providers from both inside and outside MD Anderson are welcome.
After attending the program, the participant should be able to:
- Identify and manage the complex medical, ethical, spiritual and psychosocial issues that patients face near the end of life
- Demonstrate an increased understanding and sharing of best practices in palliative care within a patient-care setting
- Discuss and manage difficult issues with an interdisciplinary team committed to improving the quality of health care delivery
- Appropriately evaluate, assess and manage cancer pain in order to improve patients’ quality of life
- Model/demonstrate effective ways of communicating with patient and caregivers that will lead to improved patient and family care
- Provide and administer an improved-upon psychosocial and spiritual care model that is administered to patients and families during this stage of their illness.
Rounds are scheduled monthly, from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Upcoming dates: January 30, 2018, in collaboration with Harbor Hospice.
Space is limited, so please register early by completing the registration form (pdf) and submitting it with payment according to instructions on the form. The bus will depart from MD Anderson Cancer Center at 8 a.m. sharp on each scheduled day; plan on arriving at the hospital no later than 7:30 a.m.
Continuing Medical Education hours are offered to Patient Home Visits participants.
Palliative, Rehabilitation and Integrative Medicine Department
Questions about Patient Home Visits? Contact Deanna Cuello, Program Manager, Palliative, Rehabilitation and Integrative Medicine.
Patient Home Visits Slideshow
Clinicians on the Home Visits bus. (Photos excerpted from Messenger, MD Anderson's magazine for employees, volunteers, retirees and their families.)
Comforting a patient during a home visit
At the patient's bedside
Visiting a hospice