The Office of Career & Entrepreneurship Advancement (CEA) develops programs and services to support the education and preparation of researchers and clinicians in the areas of career development as related to entrepreneurship and industry-based careers. CEA is under Faculty & Academic Development in Academic Affairs.
Professional Development for Industry
Professional development is a comprehensive, sustained, and intensive approach to improving the “gaps” identified in an individual’s professional DNA as related to industry and entrepreurship.
Professional Development is comprised of four key areas of support to trainees and students, including:
- Curriculum – Creating awareness through courses designed to fill in “gaps” of knowledge
- Advising – Providing experience/informed guidance to the professional development and entrepreneurial processes
- Programs – Establishing skill development opportunities to hone professional and technical skills through internships and partnerships with organizations from across the biomedical landscape
- Resources – Offering practical tools and events to enhance the development process such as networking events and mentoring opportunities.
To support members of the M.D. Anderson and The University of Texas communities, CEA engages with emerging entrepreneurs looking to learn about and evaluate options for their idea, research, or technology.
This engagement consists of four key areas, including:
- Curriculum – Creating awareness through courses designed to fill in “gaps” of knowledge about all facets of being an entrepreneur
- Advising – Providing experienced and informed evaluation, facilitation, and guidance through the entrepreneurial process
- Programs – Establishing entrepreneurial skill development opportunities through internal and external resources
- Resources – Facilitating opportunities for emerging entrepreneurs to gain exposure to organizations and companies that support early stage start-ups and bio-entrepreneurship
For more information, visit the I-Corps page.
Communication & Consulting
Carla Kinslow, Ph.D., talks about the need for developing communication skills
Interview with Atul Varadhachary, M.D.
The managing partner of Fannin Innovation Studio is interviewed
Interview with Glauco Souza, Ph.D.
Dr. Souza discusses his experience of transitioning from trainee to entrepreneur
Interview with Jeff Pollard, M.D.
Medical Affairs Director of 23andMe discusses his company's cutting-edge work
Interview with Toby Freedman, Ph.D.
Author discusses her new book about career opportunities in biotechnology
One-on-one appointments are available to trainees who are looking for mentoring and guidance in exploring their career options. These confidential sessions with a career advisor allows the trainee to work through challenges and discover opportunities as they move towards their chosen career path.
If you are interested in scheduling a one-on-one advisement appointment, contact us. If you are a trainee interested in academic career advising, contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and Professional Development.
Industry Insights examines the landscape of the biomedical enterprise across 10 different industry sectors by providing an overview and first-hand insights from experts within each sector. Each industry expert will provide a unique opportunity for participants to develop an understanding of the interconnected, interdependent, and inner workings of the biomedical and biotechnology enterprises while reviewing the functional skills required to succeed in different workplace settings.
Our guest experts will come from each of the following industry sectors:
- Devices & Diagnostics
- Finance & Investing
- Media & Journalism