This is a hands-in-pocket program. Participants observe only; they do not provide any services to MD Anderson or our patients.
Observership program requirements in the Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery department:
- Must demonstrate proficiency in English.
- The maximum appointment for an Observer is three months.
- If approved, there is a fee in the amount of $500 during the first month and $200 for each additional month (months two and three).
- White lab coat required (Department will provide scrubs for the operating room)
- Applications will be accepted between June-August for a proposed observership during the months of January-June of the following year. Applications will be accepted between January-March for a proposed observership during the months of July-December of the same year.
- Applications will be reviewed by our faculty in September and April respectively.
- Our department only allows two observers at a time.
- To apply for observership email Judy Corke with a current CV, letter of support from home institution, letter describing your areas of interest in disease and/or technology and include the length of time you are requesting to observe.
Upon approval into the Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Observership Program:
- You will be notified of the dates to observe.
- An account will be set up for you through the DISCOVER web-based application system. You will receive an e-mail from DISCOVER where you will complete the application and submit the required documents through DISCOVER.
- Once the application and documents are submitted, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery will recommend you for an educational appointment.
- Your application and supporting documents will be sent to the Academic and Visa Administration-Trainee (AVA-Trainee) department for approval. If approved as an Observer, you will receive an appointment letter via e-mail from AVA-Trainee.
- The AVA-VISA department can help you secure a Visa, if applicable. Non-US citizens, including permanent residents, are required to check in with AVA-VISA before the first day of the appointment, located at 7007 Bertner Avenue, 1MC17.3439, Houston, TX. Phone: 713-792-1112; e-mail: email@example.com. Non-US citizens should bring all original immigration documents.
- All observers (regardless of citizenship) must check in with AVA-Trainee after they clear AVA-VISA. The AVA-Trainee office is located at 7007 Bertner Avenue, 1MC17.3439, Houston, TX. Phone: 713-792-2696. Please have your VISA clearance documents and passport for verification when you check in. Non-US citizens must present the clearance forms they received from the AVA-VISA.
- After you check in with the Office of International Affairs and AVA-TAA, report to the Program Coordinator's office, Pickens Academic Tower, 1400 Pressler Street, 19th Floor, Rm. FCT19.6000.
- Observers will need to bring the required fee in credit or debit card, money order or a cashier’s check payable to MD Anderson Cancer Center, Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Pickens Academic Tower, 1400 Pressler Street, 19th Floor, Rm. FCT19.6000, Houston, TX 77030.
If you have any questions, please contact program coordinator Judy Corke or 713-563-1975.