This program is for academicians and educational trainees who are interested in observing radiologic procedures and consultations in the department. This is a one-way relationship in that we provide service to the observers; they do not provide service to us. This is a hands-in-pocket training experience. Observation only.
Observership program requirements in the Diagnostic Radiology department:
- Must demonstrate proficiency in English.
- The maximum appointment for an Observer is three months.
- If approved, there is a fee of $500 during the first month and $200 for each additional month (months two and three).
- White lab coat required.
To apply for an observership, please email Esmeralda Fuentes at firstname.lastname@example.org and Patricia Alaniz at email@example.com with a current CV, letter of support from home institution, letter describing your areas of interest in disease and/or technology and include the length of time you are requesting to observe.
Upon approval for the Diagnostic Radiology Observership Program:
- You will be notified of the dates to observe.
- An account will be set up for you through the DISCOVER web based application system. You will receive an email from DISCOVER where you will complete the application and submit the required documents through DISCOVER.
- Once the application and documents are submitted, the Diagnostic Radiology department will recommend you for an educational appointment.
- Your application and supporting documents will be sent to the Office of Trainee and Alumni Affairs (TAA) for approval. If approved as an observer, you will receive an appointment letter via email from TAA.
- The Visa and Immigration Services Administration Office (VISA) can help you secure a Visa, if applicable. Non-U.S. citizens, including permanent residents, are required to check in with VISA. before the first day of the appointment. VISA is located at 7007 Bertner Avenue, 1MC17.3439, Houston, TX. Phone: 713-792-1112; email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Non-U.S. citizens should bring all original immigration documents.
- All observers (regardless of citizenship) must check in with Trainee & Alumni Affairs (TAA) after they clear VISA. TAA is located at 7007 Bertner Avenue, 1MC17.3439, Houston, TX. Phone: 713-792-2696. Please have your Visa and Immigration Services Administration Office clearance documents and passport for verification when you check in. Non-US citizens must present the clearance forms they received from VISA.
- After you check in with the Office of International Affairs and Trainee and Alumni Affairs, report to the program coordinator's office, Pickens Academic Tower, 1400 Pressler Street, 19th Floor, Rm. FCT19.6000.
- Observers will need to bring the required fee in credit or debit card, money order or a cashier’s check payable to MD Anderson Cancer Center, Diagnostic Radiology, Pickens Academic Tower, 1400 Pressler Street, 15th Floor, Rm. FCT15.6000, Houston, TX 77030.
If you have any questions, please contact Esmeralda Fuentes at email@example.com and Patricia Alaniz at firstname.lastname@example.org.