This conference has ended. This page will be updated when information on next year's conference becomes available.
Updates in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Intensive Physician Board Review Course
September 24-26, 2019
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Robert Lee Clark Clinic Building, Floor 11
1515 Holcombe Blvd.
Houston, TX 77030
Conf. #: D121492
24.00 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
Ethics 10.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
ABIM/MOC Points 24.00 Medical Knowledge Points
This activity is targeted to physicians and fellows as a board review course for the Hospice and Palliative Medicine Board Certification, though some Advanced Practice Nurses may find the information beneficial.
- Conference Brochure
- Conference Agenda
- Conference Speakers/Committee
Agendas are subject to change because we are always striving to improve the quality of your educational experience. MD Anderson may substitute faculty with comparable expertise on rare occasions necessitated by illness, schedule conflicts and so forth.
Please let us know what specific topics, issues or questions you wish to see addressed or emphasized in this activity. Fax CME/Conference Management at 713-794-7124 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses will be forwarded to the Program Chair for consideration.
Intensive Board Review Course – Other Viewing Options
If you can't make it in person to the Board Review Course, consider viewing the course either via live stream or via on-demand recording.
The live stream of the Board Review Course takes place September 24-26, 2019. This option includes a live stream of the Course as it is taking place (start to finish), plus you will have online access to the audio/video recorded sessions, PowerPoint Slides, Test Questions and Answer Bank. AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ will be awarded for the live stream option. American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) points may be claimed by attendees who fulfill the requirements. See Accreditation/Credit Designation/Maintenance of Certification section below for details. See Registration Information, below, for instructions and applicable fees. *The link to the live stream will be provided to registrants in advance of the course.
The recording of the live Board Review Course will be available on-demand. This option includes online access to the recorded sessions, PowerPoint Slides, Test Questions and Answer Bank. This recording features audio/video files of the Course presentations that you can download and watch at your convenience. The 2019 Board Review Course recording will be available in late October 2019. No CME or MOC credits are available for this option. See Registration Information, below, for instructions and applicable fees.
Caring for the cancer patient in the advanced stages of disease is particularly challenging to the healthcare team. It requires attending to the many dimensions of care including medical, psychosocial, ethical, and spiritual needs. In its 15th year, the Updates in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Intensive Physician Board Review Course will continue to offer healthcare professionals with educational updates to help
them successfully incorporate new information into practice and take the board certification examination. Physicians, fellows and advanced nurse practitioners will gain the knowledge and competence pertaining to symptom and pain management, issues facing patients at end-of-life, and effective communication techniques to implement into clinical practice.
It is expected that participants will be able to implement systematic management of pain symptoms, be able to assess the moral, ethical and psychosocial dilemmas facing clinicians during the end of life, demonstrate effective communication techniques with patients in the advanced stages of cancer or debilitating disease and provide optimal care for noncancer conditions in a hospice and palliative care setting, thus improving end-of-life care while providing quality end-of-life care.
After attending the activity, participants should be able to:
- Interpret spiritual, legal and medical issues facing patients at end-of-life (knowledge, competence);
- Provide optimal End-of-Life care including symptom management, psychosocial support and state-of-the-art pain management (knowledge, competence, performance, patient outcomes);
- Demonstrate effective communication techniques with patients in the advanced stages of cancer or debilitating disease and provide quality end-of-life care (knowledge, competence, performance, patient outcomes);
- Identify non-cancer conditions needing palliative care (knowledge, competence).
- Audience Response System
- Internet Live Course
- Question/Answer Sessions
Accreditation/Credit Designation/Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Information
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 24.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
The sessions marked with “*” have been designated by The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center for 10.75 AMA PRACategory 1 Credits™ in medical ethics and/or professional responsibility.
CME Certificates and Attendance Verification Certificates
Certificates awarding AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ or certificates documenting attendance will be distributed to participants when an individual departs the conference. To obtain a CME certificate, physicians must submit a completed evaluation questionnaire and a CME Verification Form. Upon receipt, a record of attendance (certificate) will be provided on-site to other health care professionals for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies, or other professional associations.
American Board of Internal Medicine: Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 24.00 Medical Knowledge MOC points in the American Boardof Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
Participant completion data will be shared with and transmitted to the ACCME on the participant’s behalf.
In order to receive MOC points, you must pass the post-test with a score of 70% or higher.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has implemented a process whereby everyone who is in a position to control the content of an educational activity must disclose all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest that could potentially affect the information presented. MD Anderson also requires that all faculty disclose any unlabeled use or investigational use (not yet approved for any purpose) of pharmaceutical and medical device products. Specific disclosure will be made to the participants prior to the educational activity.
General Registration Information
- PRE-REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED, You may on-site registration and check-in opens at 7:15 am on Tuesday, September 24, 2019. The Board Review Course will begin at 8:00 am and will adjourn at 5:00 pm on Thursday, September 26., 2019.
- Advanced Registration is encouraged as space are limited.
- Updates in Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Intensive Physician Board Review Course registration fee includes materials, continental breakfasts, lunches, and breaks.
- If you are also registering for the conference that is schedule for October 18-19, 2019, please note that registration is exempt.
(MD, DO, PhD, includes Resident, Fellow, etc.) . . . $899
If you are also registering for the conference that is schedule for October 18-19, 2019, please note that registration is exempt if you paid the $899.00 registration fee. Board Review Course registration DOES include the Conference.
Registration for this Board Review will include access to the Post Webinar Sessions Board Review Course.
Online Access to Syllabus and
video presentations. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$499
Live Webstreaming and access to
syllabus and video presentations. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$699
We accept the following forms of payment:
- Check (payable through U.S. banks only)
- Money Order
- Credit Cards (MasterCard, VISA, and American Express)
- Cash (on-site registration only)
A receipt and confirmation letter will be sent to you within ten working days of receipt of your fee.
The registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received on or before Monday, September 2, 2019. No refunds will be granted after that date. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check.
CME/Conference Management reserves the right to cancel activities prior to the scheduled date, if low enrollment or other circumstances make it necessary. Each registrant will be notified by mail, e-mail, or at the phone or fax numbers given on the registration form. In case of activity cancellation, the liability of CME/Conference Management is limited to the registration fee.
CME/Conference Management will refund the full registration fee. CME/Conference Management reserves the right to limit the number of participants in a program and is not responsible for any expenses incurred by an individual whose registration is not confirmed and for whom space is not available.
For additional information, contact CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll free at 866-849-5866 or via e-mail: email@example.com
- A block of rooms at the Houston Marriott Medical Center Hotel, located at 6580 Fannin St., Houston, Texas 77030.
- Hotel phone number is 713-796-0080 or 1-800-228-9290.
- When making hotel reservations for both the Board Review and the Conference be sure to mention the name specific to each event you will be attending:
- Palliative Board Review 2019 (September 24-26, 2019) and be sure to use the Group Rate code of PBRPBRR to obtain the $169 room rate for single/double occupancy. Please add 17% Texas State and local taxes.
- Palliative Care Conference 2019 (October 18-19, 2019) and be sure to use the Group Rate code of TTATTAA to obtain the $169 room rate for single/double occupancy. Please add 17% Texas State and local taxes
- Early hotel reservation is encouraged as the room block cutoff dates are as follows:
- Palliative Board Review Course: Monday, September 2, 2019
- Palliative Care Conference: Monday, September 16, 2019
- Visit www.hotels.com for other hotels within the Texas Medical Center area of Houston, Texas.
(Prices are subject to change and vary depending on the location of the conference)
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU).
- Taxicabs are available at an estimated cost of $50-60, to or from both airports.
- Super Shuttle operates a shuttle bus from both airports at an estimated cost of $24-$27 one-way and $48-$54 round-trip. For more information, call 713-523-8888 or toll-free at 800-258-3826 or on-line at www.supershuttle.com.
Parking is available in Garage 10, which is located on the east side of the Clark Clinic, for $12 per day. There are EasyPay Stations on the first, second and third floors, instead of a cashier. The EasyPay Station is a self-serve payment station and will take cash or credit cards. You feed your ticket into the machine, it tells you how much you owe, you then pay that amount and the machine returns your "paid" ticket. Take the "paid" ticket to the exit gate and feed it into a machine there to raise the gate and exit the garage.
Take the crosswalk on level 3 of Garage 10 into MD Anderson. The first set of elevators on your left (next to the guard station) can be used to access floor 11. As you exit the elevator on floor 11, you will be at the back of the auditorium. Turn to your left to follow the hallway to the registration desk and the front of the auditorium.
Click here for a map.
*Parking fees are not reimbursable.
Photographing, audio taping and video taping are prohibited.