2nd Surgical Oncology Advanced Practitioner Conference
Apr. 26-28, 2019
Robert C. Hickey Auditorium
Floor 11, R. Lee Clark Clinic, 1515 Holcombe Boulevard
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Houston, Texas 77030
17.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
Ethics 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM
The target audient includes Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, RNs, CRNAs, and other healthcare professionals involved in the management of patients in surgical oncology.
Agendas are subject to change because we are always striving to improve the quality of your educational experience. MD Anderson may substitute faculty with comparable expertise on rare occasions necessitated by illness, schedule conflicts and so forth.
Please let us know what specific topics, issues or questions you wish to see addressed or emphasized in this activity. Fax CME/Conference Management at 713-794-1724 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. All responses will be forwarded to the Program Chair for consideration.
The goal of this conference is to foster collaboration and share best practices among Advanced Practice Providers (APPs) working in surgical oncology by providing an educational forum that focuses on the latest advances in surgical management of solid tumors and the role of APPs in clinical practice.
This conference will provide learners a broad overview of surgical oncology topics, including over 40 lectures on solid tumor disease-specific topics from head-to-toe, as well as peri-operative management and APP professional roles and leadership.
Additional highlights include several hands-on interactive workshops, such as beginner and intermediate suturing, imaging, and common hospital-based procedures.
After attending the conference, participants should be able to:
- Describe recent advances in the surgical management of solid tumors originating from the following organ and/or disease sites: brain, spine, oropharynx, thyroid, lung, breast, esophagus, stomach, colon, rectum, liver, pancreas, prostate, kidney, bladder, ovary, skin, and bones (knowledge, competence, performance, patient outcomes)
- Demonstrate and perform common hospital-based procedures, including suturing, wound care, and bedside ultrasound (knowledge, competence, performance, patient outcomes)
- Describe fundamentals of solid tumor imaging, and how to review and interpret pertinent findings from computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging of the head, neck, chest, and abdomen (knowledge, competence, performance); and
- Examine and illustrate the changing role of the Advanced Practice Professionals in the delivery of oncology care for surgical patients (knowledge, competence, performance)
- Case Presentations
- Question and Answer Session
- Panel Discussion
- Poster Session
- Hands-on Workshops
A course evaluation form will provide participants with the opportunity to comment on the value of the program content to their practice decisions, performance improvement activities, or possible impact on patient health status. Participants will also have the opportunity to comment on any perceived commercial bias in the presentations as well as to identify future educational topics.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and Policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and the Association of Physician Assistants in Oncology.
The Universityof Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centeris accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 17.75 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
It has been designated by The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center for a total of 1.50 AMA PRA Category 1CreditsTM in medical ethics and/or professional responsibility.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center is an approved provider with commendation of continuing nursing education by the Texas Nurses Association – Approver, an accredited approver with distinction,b y the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. 17 CNE Contact Hours will be awarded for successful completion.
CME Certificates and Attendance Verification Certificates
Certificates awarding AMA PRACategory 1 CreditTM or certificates documenting attendance will be distributed to participants when an individual departs the conference. To obtain a CME certificate, physicians must submit a completed evaluation questionnaire and a CME Verification Form.
Upon request, a record of attendance (certificate) will be provided on-site to other healthcare professionals for requesting credits in accordance with state nursing boards, specialty societies, or other professional associations.
The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center has implemented a process whereby everyone who is in a position to control the content of an educational activity must disclose all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest that could potentially affect the information presented. MD Anderson also requires that all faculty disclose any unlabeled use or investigational use (not yet approved for any purpose) of pharmaceutical and medical device products. Specific disclosure will be made to the participants prior to the educational activity.
Physician Payments Sunshine Act
MD Anderson complies with the Physician Payments Sunshine Act as part of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Accordingly, we may be required to collect information on transfer of value provided to any covered recipient under the ACA.
Deadline for Abstract Submission is March 1, 2019
Abstracts will be selected for either e-poster or mini-oral presentation at the conference. The purpose of the poster session is to provide educational overview of the latest advances in surgical management of solid tumors and the role of APPs in clinical practice. Please visit our website for more information.
To submit an abstract click on the link https://bit.ly/2Eh8f6L. Deadline for submission is March 1, 2019, 11:59 PM CST.
Authors of selected abstracts will receive a notification of acceptance via email by March 15, 2019. Best of Poster award will be announced at the end of the conference. For any questions or concerns, please contact: SOAPabstracts@mdanderson.org.
Online registration is now closed, please register on-site.
- On-site registration for the 2nd Surgical Oncology Advanced Practitioner Conference opens at 7:00 a.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019. Pre-conference Workshops will begin at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019. The opening session will begin at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, April 26, 2019 and the conference ends at 12:10 p.m. on Saturday, April 28, 2019.
- Advanced registration is encouraged as space and materials are limited.
- The deadline for advanced registration is March 25, 2019.
Postmarked before Mar. 25, 2019
- Non APAO Member: $290.00
- APAO Member/
MDA Faculty/RN/Staff: $250.00
- Trainees: $75.00
- One-Day Fee: $150.00
- Friday or Saturday
- One-Day Fee (Sunday) $100.00
Postmarked after Mar. 25, 2019
- Non APAO Member: $340.00
- APAO Member/
MDA Faculty/RN/Staff: $300.00
- Trainees: $75.00
- One-Day Fee: $150.00
- Friday or Saturday
- One-Day Fee (Sunday) $100.00
Workshops (Limited) - Choose Session (Friday AM)
- Workshop A: Diagnostic Imaging Workshop Part I & II.......$75.00
- Essential Suture Skills for Surgical APPs.............$75.00
- Workshop B: 8:30-10:00 a.m.
- Workshop D: 10:30-12:00 p.m.
- Workshop C: Bedside Ultrasound-Guided Procedures......$75.00
- Workshop E: Advanced Suture Skills for Surgical APPS.........$75.00
Guest Fee - Welcome Reception $50.00
MDA Hospital Tour (Sat 1-1:30p.m.) Free
We accept the following forms of payment:
- Check (payable through U.S. banks only)
- Money order
- Credit cards (MasterCard, VISA and American Express)
- Cash (on-site registration only)
If you register online, a receipt/confirmation letter will be automatically emailed to the email address you list on the registration form. If you register by fax or mail, a receipt/confirmation letter will be sent to you within 10 working days of the receipt of your fee.
The registration fee, minus a $50 administrative handling fee, is refundable if a written request is received on or before Apr. 5, 2019. No refunds will be granted after that date. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check. For additional information, contact CME/Conference Management at 713-792-2223 or toll-free at 866-849-5866.
The Department of CME/Conference Management reserves the right to cancel activities prior to the scheduled date if low enrollment or other circumstances make it necessary. Each registrant will be notified by mail, email, or at the phone or fax numbers given on the registration form.
- A block of rooms has been reserved for conference attendees at the Houston Marriott Medical Center, 6580 Fannin Street, Houston, Texas 77030.
- Click on the reservation link to make online reservations - Book your group rate for 2nd Surgical PA Conference Room Block
- Early hotel reservation is suggested.
- The hotel phone number is 713-796-0080.
- When you make reservations be sure to mention The MD Anderson 2nd Surgical Oncology Advanced Practitioner Conference to be assured of receiving the special meeting rate of $119.00 single or double occupancy.
- Please add 17% Texas state and local taxes.
- Reservations and deposits received after Thursday, April 4, 2019 will be confirmed if space is available and at current hotel published guest room rates.
- Houston is served by two airports, George Bush Intercontinental (IAH) and William P. Hobby (HOU). The following ground transportations are available to and from the airports to the Medical Center.
- Uber and Lyft
- Taxicabs: Yellow Cab 713-236-1111; Fiesta Cab 713-225-2666.
- Super Shuttle: For more information, call toll free at 800-258-3826, or on-line at www.supershuttle.com.
Parking is available in Garage 10, which is located on the east side of the Clark Clinic, for $12 per day. There are EasyPay Stations on the first, second and third floors, instead of a cashier. The EasyPay Station is a self-serve payment station and will take cash or credit cards. You feed your ticket into the machine, it tells you how much you owe, you then pay that amount and the machine returns your "paid" ticket.
Take the "paid" ticket to the exit gate and feed it into a machine there to raise the gate and exit the garage.Take the crosswalk on level 3 of Garage 10 into MD Anderson. The first set of elevators on your left (next to the guard station) can be used to access floor 11. As you exit the elevator on floor 11, you will be at the back of the auditorium. Turn to your left to follow the hallway to the registration desk and the front of the auditorium.
Click here for a map.
Photographing, audio taping and video taping are prohibited.